Turning a year and getting an attitude

Thread: Turning a year and getting an attitude

Skubaa Guest

DefaultTurning a year and getting an attitude

I am amazed at how turning a year can change the attitude of both our 4 legged friends and our 2 legged kids. I remember my kids getting that walking freedom and they wouldn't come when I called either. Phoebe will be a year at the end of August and I have noticed in the past day or so literally she is pushing her limits just as they did. She lays outside and looks at me when I tell her to come to go inside. She knows right when she has pushed it too far--jumping up as I start to go get her. Today, she has started to keep herself just out of my reach when I go to get her when she won't come. So, it is back on a 50 ft leash and some refresher training. Even fetch has become more on her terms than mine. She will go 3/4th of the way to get the toy then stop to eat a nut---or she'll get it and stop half way back. Even inside the past few days it seems she can't settle down. I have been running her in the morning and evening--but at almost 100 degrees, daytime is kept to a minimum outside.

It is just a testimony to what some really good walks and workouts will do for a dog and their temperament. The next class for her is going to be agility. She needs that stimulation. They gear it to the age of the dog--keeping things lower to the ground, etc. We are finishing up with OB2 next week. She loves the work.

So, here I am, heading straight into teenage years with my dog at age 1 and my daughter who just turned 13. I wonder who will be more difficult over the next year and who will survive in the end. Stay tuned!

DG

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Turning a year and getting an attitude

Daughter will be more difficult it will last longer and she can scream and slam doors. Phoebe will reach 2 and morf into the wonderful lab we all dream of. Plus you can always crate Phoebe...do that to daughter and child protective services will be at your door.

Hang in there and remember you will survive both of there teenage years.

Emma did this to us at about that age...made you repeat a command 3 times or give her a good reason to obey.
    We went back to basics...put her on a crash NILF course for a few days and she snapped right out of it.
    Aidan has not tested us....yet anyway

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by azlab
    Daughter will be more difficult it will last longer and she can scream and slam doors. Phoebe will reach 2 and morf into the wonderful lab we all dream of. Plus you can always crate Phoebe...do that to daughter and child protective services will be at your door.

Hang in there and remember you will survive both of there teenage years.
    Perfectly said.

Hang in there it does get better.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

LOL, I'd take the 1 yo lab anytime over the 13 yo girl. Been there once myself.... my poor parents became gray quickly w/me!

One Q-- is your pup spayed? If not, she could be giving you a warning that she's brewing the girly hormones. They don't call em *itches for no reason you know! I'm an advocate of nearly constant obed (or rally, tracking or hunt test) training for the first 2 yrs of life at least. I try not to give my girls the opportunity to get "smart" with me. 8) -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Skubaa Guest

Yep---she is spayed and almost lost her doing it. She is just growing I hope. Sticking with the training and obedience---following through when she won't, etc. It finally cooled down a little here yesterday, so we were able to get her out and run her. We played "keep away" with the frisbee which she loved. I use the term loosely since she got it almost every time my daughter threw it. LOL! She came in and crashed out. It is amazing what a good amount of excercise will do.

Also, this could all be her missing my parents who left on Thursday. Her and my dad really bonded and they played a lot together even inside. So, she got spoiled. They called right after they got home and she went crazy looking through the house for him. It was sooo funny and a little sad.

As far as my teen goes---there is only one word---oblivious! Her theme of the year. She is a pretty cool kid otherwise and we actually get along pretty well so far.

Thanks for the support and advice.
    DG