Simon has a really bad ear infection
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simon has a really bad ear infection

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon has a really bad ear infection

Well, in the land of more everyday ailments...

You might remember Simon was the reason we went to the vet in the first place a couple of weeks ago. He had a bacterial skin infection, for which he was given antibiotics. He finished those a few days ago.

I noticed a horrible smell a couple of days ago. Simon's gunky ear has flared again. :-\ I cleaned it last night and ACK, the smell. You know what I'm talking about. I removed all kinds of dark brown/black gunk.

I got it pretty clean, but it still smells "off." I used one of those ear cleaning/drying solutions, as it's all I had on hand. He's not shaking his head or pawing. It doesn't seem to bother him in the least.

I am wondering if I just clean it for a few days will it be OK? Or do you think I need to get out and get the stuff for the purple ear solution?

If someone wanted to post those ingredients again, it would be much appreciated. :-[

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Simon has a really bad ear infection

poor Simon - I hope his ear feels better soon!

Kate

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

If it's really "off" wouldn't Simon need actual medicine? Oh and by the way....Happy belated birthday to Angus and really glad for his good news.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He might. :-\ I am going to see how it looks tomorrow.

I do know that purple ear stuff works as well or better than "actual" medicine, in my experience anyway. I had some awful ear problems a few years back and it was the one and only thing that helped. So, I think I'll try that before the "hard" stuff.

Connie and "The Boys":

lcspt is offline Senior Member

"In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

I posted a thread about Breed having an ear infection... She got one well over a month ago and I used epi otic to clean it every day and then the mediceine I got at at the vet.. She still has the infection! In fact she went back to the vet and she has one in BOTH ears now :'( .... I dont know if there is a bigger problem going on here or if the medicine just isnt working for her, but if you know of something we can use to make her better Id love to know of it too.. Poor Breed!!! and Poor Simon! I hope he feels better soon!

Thanks Linda!

Connie and "The Boys":

We use Epi Otic too, usually just after they go swimming to help dry the ear canal.

I was just reading Labby's link, and a few others, and they say that if regular cleaning with the solution doesn't clear them up then you may be dealing with a food allergy. This wouldn't surprise me at all with Simon. He has always seemed a little allergic to me. He has had several classic symptoms - anal gland issues, itchy/scratchies, gunky ears. He reminds me of Crash.

Sigh. It may also be time to think about switching his food. Again. We have him on Fromm's Salmon & Veg now, and that seemed to help with his anal gland problems.

I think the round of antibiotics set his ears off this time. He was fine for a long time up until a couple of days after he finished.

He's not head-shaking or pawing, and doesn't seem to be in pain, so I guess that's good. He would most definitely let me know if he was in pain (he's a total crybaby )

I might order the solution from the link on Labby's site. I have looked on and off for Gentian Violet at various health food stores and haven't seen it yet. I wonder how long it will take to get it, though.

Crap. I guess I am going to have to take him in and get them checked, regardless.

Connie and "The Boys":

awww poor Simon! Good luck with his ear problems.... I think I will take a look at Labbys site too... I dont know what else to do... I never thought of a food alergy before.. Breed had been on plain purina dog chow up until about a month ago .. Now she eats the stuff with lamb and veggies and stuff in it... HMMMMMM perhaps a coincidence.. perhaps not ???

Skubaa Guest

Phoebe got one last week. Her ears smelled like fermented yeast---almost alcoholy. I had some ear meds left over from her last go around and will probably always keep some on hand if my vet lets me. Her ears smells better, but I am still using it for a full week. I have been keeping her out of water until it clears up.

My breeder said he tends to shave the hair at the base of the front of ear to help it dry out. I haven't kept up on that.

Wish they invented some good doggie ear plugs for the water. LOL

DG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast