Not the day for a dog show today

Thread: Not the day for a dog show today

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot the day for a dog show today

I went to a local dog show today about 20 minutes away from me that was outdoors. Damn was it hot and humid. Almost no peanut gallery or visitors, it was just too brutal to be outside. I stayed to watch the breed I was interested in and high tailed it out of there back to my dogs and the AC.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not the day for a dog show today

Been there, done that! August is horrible for outdoor events in NJ. That said, I'm thinking of (gasp) skipping the NASCAR race tomorrow (I'd tape it), and seeing if Ken wants to take a ride down to the show in Flemington.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I hope you have some cooler weather tomorrow.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Man, it was hot down here today too. We were out at about 9 this morning, and only walked about a mile, but I was dripping by the time we got back to the car and the dogs' tongues were halfway down their knees!

I don't see how they get their dogs to do anything in that heat. I did one show with Angus in August. That was the last time for that. He was like a zombie..."Hunh? What? No, I don't feel like it."

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I didn't take Riley for her walks today, or for the last week for that matter, until 9pm or so. Even then, she was panting like crazy. It's been so gross here, 95 or so. Believe the forecast for tomorrow is 85, so maybe we'll get back on track...sheesh, even the pool water is 83 degrees, not much relief there except that its wet :-\

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    ...I don't see how they get their dogs to do anything in that heat...
    The trick is keeping them cool while they aren't in the ring. The last time I went to the show in Flemington, we were in the middle of a heat wave, and it was so humid the air rattled in your chest. The neat thing about the Labs was that the judge was judging most of them wet. Can't get away with that with every breed! LOL As for the performance events, it doesn't matter if the dog is wet or not. I've heard of agility dogs hanging out in kiddie poold before their runs.