Dog Aggression

Thread: Dog Aggression

DefaultDog Aggression

I have a kind of personal question. I was just wondering if it is possible that a dog would become aggressive towards a person underdoing hormone treaments. Since Ernie was 4 months I have been taking shots on/off for infertility issues. Lately I will be sitting down and out of no where Ernie will just get up and growl and come and grab my wrist to bite me. He has broken my skin now twice.

At first I thought it was possessiveness around toys as he growled at my husband a couple of times but it now seems unrelated to the toys and there are no warning signs. It usually happens so quick I don't even have a second to react to him. Most of the time it is just a growl and grab of the wrist but like I said he has broken my skin. We are seeing a behaviorist but just wanted to get other opinions as well b/c it always seems focused at me.

Ernie is almost 8 months now. He is not neutered but I will be calling the vet on Monday to schedule the appt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Aggression

I'm no expert, but Ernie is still young and it may be that he is just trying to initiate play. Some dogs play bite very hard and must be taught not to bite, even playing. It's a good idea to see the behaviorist to interpret what's happening. The behaviorist may give you suggestions about how to stop the biting.

WigWag Guest

Although a dog's sense of smell is highly sensitive a hormone balance or shift would not cause aggression. The female dog hormone that is emitted during their cycle is different than humans.

It sounds like your boy is exhibiting aggression simply because that is the way he is hard wired ie born with a specific temperament. He also sounds like he is dominant aggressive and not submissive/fearful.

I would enroll him in an obedience class ASAP and get some solid advice. You need to stop this type of behavior before welcoming a baby to the family.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about Ernie. I agree with contacting a behavorist ASAP.

Folklaur Love Over Gold "Guthrie" DOB 4/15/07
    Himarks Blue Ray "Huckle" 1/9/92 - 4/25/2006 waiting for me at the bridge.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hark67
    Sorry to hear about Ernie. I agree with contacting a behavorist ASAP.
    I second that
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Good for you for seeing a behaviorist. Not to be uncooperative but seriously..they will be able to guide you way better with him than we will. Do what they say and remember consistency is KEY to your success. Good luck! and keep us posted.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I just wondered, does he ever show any other type of aggressive/dominant behavior? Or is it always just wrist-grabbing? Is it always the same wrist?

Just curious. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus--he shows no other aggression every in fact most of the time he is upside down so he can get a belly rub. Thinking about it the few times it has happened it has always been my right wrist only.

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Saska did that with my husband and BIL when she was about the same age, she usual did this when she wanted to play, we put a toy in her mouth every time she did it and it seemed to work, she will still sometimes try and grab his hand when she wants to play, but her bite is really soft now. I hope Ernie will be ok he really is a cutie pie.

WigWag Guest

Hmmmm I am now wondering if this is merely play behavior. Mouthing the wrist and arm is a very common way to initiate play. Some dogs growl ferociously during play as well.

Tell me what happens right before and during these instances?