Dogs begging for more food..what do you do?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs begging for more food..what do you do?

DefaultDogs begging for more food..what do you do?

Every morning..after I feed Dakota..and give him two biscuits after he eats...then his Glucosomine etc., I sit and have my coffee..I then have to get up...give him one little treat after making him do "come around", circle from front of me to my left side and sit..then..back to my coffee..NOW..this is when I get the sitting, staring into my eyes with a pleading look, Mommy can I have more FOOD look?
    Do your pups do this..and how do you handle it..ignore? Give in?
    Jackie <---a softy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dogs begging for more food..what do you do?

Speaking as a fellow softy - how can you ignore those eyes? The "I'm starving" look is a hard one to ignore.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackieN
    ...Do your pups do this..and how do you handle it..ignore? Give in?
    Jackie <---a softy
    I tell Caleb to go lay down. Which means he ends up laying righ next to my feet at the corner of the sectional, but that's where he always lay anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Aidan is always in a perpetual state of hunger. Just ask him...I usually tell him to go air himself out, put him outside, take him for a swim. Give him an ice cube or a pooch pop(frozen chicken broth with a little plain yogurt)

Those eyes get you for sure. Give in and 2 seconds later, the eyes are back. This may be repeated 20 times, and the eyes are back. Again repeat 20 times, the eyes are back. Labs learn very quickly who will give in and who won't. The Dogs sit by DH and not me when we eat (guess who gives in???) I think labs were born hungry and will eat until they can't anymore. Yes, there are some self regulators out there, but not too many are labs.
    I'm sure some of the JLers whose dog got in to a full bag of food can attest, they don't know when to stop. You have to be the mean person that says enough, go away and lay down. You feel mean, but extra weight on a dog is not very good for them.

PS Do I give in??? Of course, Those eyes are back!!!!
    Pat

Ahhhh..glad to see I'm not the only sucker for pleading eyes. LOL
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack
    Speaking as a fellow softy - how can you ignore those eyes? The "I'm starving" look is a hard one to ignore.

Well..most times..I either say "no more food" or just ignore..or try to..until he jumps into my lap and starts licking the heck outta my face. LOL He will even nudge my hand..smart dog..he constantly amazes us.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieN
    ...Do your pups do this..and how do you handle it..ignore? Give in?
    Jackie <---a softy
    I tell Caleb to go lay down. Which means he ends up laying righ next to my feet at the corner of the sectional, but that's where he always lay anyway.

Well..SU and I have discussed the "no feeding from the table" rule..and we both abide..made too many mistakes doing that with other dogs. I never feed near counters or tables..I step away from anything that is food related. I do watch his weight..and make sure I can see a waist line..when I can't..I stop..which so far..only one time..did I have to cut back..that was months ago. They sure know how to get to us tho. LOL
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Mischasmom
    Those eyes get you for sure. Give in and 2 seconds later, the eyes are back. This may be repeated 20 times, and the eyes are back. Again repeat 20 times, the eyes are back. Labs learn very quickly who will give in and who won't. The Dogs sit by DH and not me when we eat (guess who gives in???) I think labs were born hungry and will eat until they can't anymore. Yes, there are some self regulators out there, but not too many are labs.
    I'm sure some of the JLers whose dog got in to a full bag of food can attest, they don't know when to stop. You have to be the mean person that says enough, go away and lay down. You feel mean, but extra weight on a dog is not very good for them.

PS Do I give in??? Of course, Those eyes are back!!!!
    Pat

Pooch pop?? Can you explain how you make them..amounts and how you freeze them? Please..!!! Yep..Dakota too..always hungry!!!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    Aidan is always in a perpetual state of hunger. Just ask him...I usually tell him to go air himself out, put him outside, take him for a swim. Give him an ice cube or a pooch pop(frozen chicken broth with a little plain yogurt)

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If it gets to be a pain in the behind I put them in a down/stay in the kitchen.
    Kim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast