Dogs begging for more food..what do you do? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dogs begging for more food..what do you do?

k8show is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dogs begging for more food..what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by JackieN
    Pooch pop?? Can you explain how you make them..amounts and how you freeze them? Please..!!! Yep..Dakota too..always hungry!!!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    Aidan is always in a perpetual state of hunger. Just ask him...I usually tell him to go air himself out, put him outside, take him for a swim. Give him an ice cube or a pooch pop(frozen chicken broth with a little plain yogurt)
    I do this too! Pupsicles. I fill up ice cube trays with little pieces of soft treat and water. Boo loves 'em and they last longer than the treat alone.
    Katie and Boo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

So far not a pain..just...wondering. Kelly our other dog is worse..she sits..stares, pants all over you..waiting for some dinner scraps..drives us nuts..we make her go lay down.
    For me, that is a pain. I think of it in terms if we have company over, would I want them doing that to them. I don't mind if my dog sits there kindly. But the panting and obsessive staring is not tolerated. You say it drive you nuts, imagine how someone else would feel.
    Otherwise, I dont care what people think of my dogs, but dinner time is not a time to be a big pain in my behind. It is a control thing for me.
    Kim

LOL..Kelly is a food dropper watcher too..and FAST for 14..she can still move when food drops to the floor. LOL
    Jackie ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Mischasmom
    Just to show you the difference between labs and other breeds; Copper, our Spaniel will sit beside me or DH, but we don't get the "eyes". She watches the ground for anything that might drop. She must think that we are real slobs ...... LOL
    Pat

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nah..not a bad dad at all..you just want to make him happy(er) ONCE in a while. A little extra treat never hurts..as long as it is..just once in a while. Like last night..we had some "steak" that I grilled and it was a bit tough..actually it wasn't meant for grilling..I originally bought it for the dogs..but decided to try and cook it..yuck..so Dakota got 4 small pieces as a treat after we finished the rest of our dinner.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    I think we all know THE LOOK and I just ignore it. That is so hard though. I try to think of the long term effects of being overweight and it makes the pouting easier. I figure if he was overweight he would really have something to pout about then!

All that said, I do give in occasionally. I know I am a bad dad!

Well..as Kelly got older..and since moving down here..she spends alot of time in our master bathroom, laying on the cold tile floor. She now very rarely begs at dinner time..years ago..it was a problem..and sometimes now..she will do it..but rarely..she sleeps so much now..it's a pain just trying to get her to eat every day..she has always been fussy and giving her table food..made her fussier. Lesson learned. It's so nice to have Dakota who will eat anything..anytime.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    So far not a pain..just...wondering. Kelly our other dog is worse..she sits..stares, pants all over you..waiting for some dinner scraps..drives us nuts..we make her go lay down.
    For me, that is a pain. I think of it in terms if we have company over, would I want them doing that to them. I don't mind if my dog sits there kindly. But the panting and obsessive staring is not tolerated. You say it drive you nuts, imagine how someone else would feel.
    Otherwise, I dont care what people think of my dogs, but dinner time is not a time to be a big pain in my behind. It is a control thing for me.

Jackie we are dealing with a sr citizen now also...Shadow is 15 and refuses to eat anything but Ruby's puppy food....So...I wet it down for him, add some salmon and yogurt and cater to him.
    The other ones? Eat what's in front of you or starve until the next meal...but at 15.5 years old, you are allowed to be fussy. I think maybe it's because he is missing some teeth and because his taste buds are off. Puppy food is actually better for him because it has more calories.

I only give Amber food if she is in the down position. So her mode of begging is to down. and if I ignore that after a few minutes she will get up walk around and then throw herself into a down. its much nicer to have a lab beg from the down position less slobber on your legs,lap, arms...

Kelly and Amber

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I ignore it. If the drool gets disgusting the dog goes outside.

With Erns H.D. I can't afford to let him get heavy. Also if I give in he will become a pain with visitors and a hard habit to break.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Susan..I try to..cater a bit to Kelly. I bought those doggy gravies, if I'm making something with sauce/gravy I use it. She'll eat it with a scrambled raw egg, and of course with human food..but most times..it's a grind. Now if Dakota's food is down..she wants HIS..growls at him etc., to make Dakota feel safe and not to have him gobble TOO fast..I stand between them..he knows he's safe this way.
    It's not like your old guy Shadow..she'll eat crap food, human stuff..but I think, with her..she waits to see if she is gonna get human food at dinner time. I put her food down 20 times a day..the minute she walks away up it comes because Dakota has more than once snuck in and gotten it, even tho he knows he is supposed to "sit" and "look" before he eats..lil thief. LOL
    Jackie A

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    Jackie we are dealing with a sr citizen now also...Shadow is 15 and refuses to eat anything but Ruby's puppy food....So...I wet it down for him, add some salmon and yogurt and cater to him.
    The other ones? Eat what's in front of you or starve until the next meal...but at 15.5 years old, you are allowed to be fussy. I think maybe it's because he is missing some teeth and because his taste buds are off. Puppy food is actually better for him because it has more calories.

LOL..yep..down is a good thing. Kelly does the down thing..she's old..rather lie down and beg I guess...but we only have ourselves to blame for her begging.
    And as for drool, Kelly doesn't drool..if Dakota ever starts..he will go outside..yuck!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    I only give Amber food if she is in the down position. So her mode of begging is to down. and if I ignore that after a few minutes she will get up walk around and then throw herself into a down. its much nicer to have a lab beg from the down position less slobber on your legs,lap, arms...

Kelly and Amber
    Quote Originally Posted by kassabella
    I ignore it. If the drool gets disgusting the dog goes outside.

With Erns H.D. I can't afford to let him get heavy. Also if I give in he will become a pain with visitors and a hard habit to break.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast