Just Labradors banner

Dogs begging for more food..what do you do?

2K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  JackieN 
#1 ·
Every morning..after I feed Dakota..and give him two biscuits after he eats...then his Glucosomine etc., I sit and have my coffee..I then have to get up...give him one little treat after making him do "come around", circle from front of me to my left side and sit..then..back to my coffee..NOW..this is when I get the sitting, staring into my eyes with a pleading look, Mommy can I have more FOOD look?
Do your pups do this..and how do you handle it..ignore? Give in?
Jackie <---a softy

#27 ·
I only give Amber food if she is in the down position. So her mode of begging is to down. and if I ignore that after a few minutes she will get up walk around and then throw herself into a down. its much nicer to have a lab beg from the down position less slobber on your legs,lap, arms...

Kelly and Amber

#28 ·
I ignore it. If the drool gets disgusting the dog goes outside.

With Erns H.D. I can't afford to let him get heavy. Also if I give in he will become a pain with visitors and a hard habit to break.

#29 ·
Susan..I try to..cater a bit to Kelly. I bought those doggy gravies, if I'm making something with sauce/gravy I use it. She'll eat it with a scrambled raw egg, and of course with human food..but most times..it's a grind. Now if Dakota's food is down..she wants HIS..growls at him etc., to make Dakota feel safe and not to have him gobble TOO fast..I stand between them..he knows he's safe this way.
It's not like your old guy Shadow..she'll eat crap food, human stuff..but I think, with her..she waits to see if she is gonna get human food at dinner time. I put her food down 20 times a day..the minute she walks away up it comes because Dakota has more than once snuck in and gotten it, even tho he knows he is supposed to "sit" and "look" before he eats..lil thief. LOL
Jackie A:)

WeHeartLabs said:
Jackie we are dealing with a sr citizen now also...Shadow is 15 and refuses to eat anything but Ruby's puppy food....So...I wet it down for him, add some salmon and yogurt and cater to him.
The other ones? Eat what's in front of you or starve until the next meal...but at 15.5 years old, you are allowed to be fussy. I think maybe it's because he is missing some teeth and because his taste buds are off. Puppy food is actually better for him because it has more calories.

#30 ·
LOL..yep..down is a good thing. Kelly does the down thing..she's old..rather lie down and beg I guess...but we only have ourselves to blame for her begging.
And as for drool, Kelly doesn't drool..if Dakota ever starts..he will go outside..yuck!
Jackie

Kzunell said:
I only give Amber food if she is in the down position. So her mode of begging is to down. and if I ignore that after a few minutes she will get up walk around and then throw herself into a down. its much nicer to have a lab beg from the down position less slobber on your legs,lap, arms...

Kelly and Amber
kassabella said:
I ignore it. If the drool gets disgusting the dog goes outside.

With Erns H.D. I can't afford to let him get heavy. Also if I give in he will become a pain with visitors and a hard habit to break.

#35 ·
Just don't look at them! My MIL keeps saying she's going to get sunglasses for our two so she can't see the pleading eyes. She just can't say no to them. We left Kira with my in-laws for 5 days when we took a little trip and when we put her on the plane to come home she weighed 3 kilograms (~7lb I think?) more than when we left her. If I really want to give them something, they get a carrot. In summer they love ice cubes. And if I eat a yogurt they get to lick the container afterwards. These are all things they can enjoy without adding weight.

#37 ·
I only feed in the dish and only kibble -- with or without water. How I react depends on who's asking. If it's my one overweight dog, I ignore her. If it's one of my skinnies, I put down more food and lock up the fatty. No food from the table, no training treats after about age 4-5 months, no tossed food ever. The one fat dog is primarily that way because she's on prednisone. The other two are 60 and 63 pounds respectively. Their food needs vary widely from day to day depending on the amount of exercise they get. With a hard day of training, their intake may double. If they ask for more, I listen.

#38 ·
YardleyLabs said:
.... no training treats after about age 4-5 months, ....
I can't imagine how I wuld make any progress training Hershey without treats. Treats are defined as kibble except for unleasehed recall which is a sausage cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Kong while we are eating dinner, is filled with kibble which is taken from her 1.5 cups dinner portion.

G
#39 ·
For a while there Diesel was manufacturing urgent trips outside just to get the treat he always got when he came back in. Now that we know he has food allergies and I am restricting him only to the one food we are feeding him for meals --- there are no more treats during the day. He comes back in -- runs to the treat cabinet -- looks up hopefully and then I let him down hard. Poor guy!

#40 ·
Can't you give him a kibble or two as a treat..that's what we do with Dakota..we had a few peeing accidents months ago..and started this habit..of course he's expanded it to include every trip outside whether he potty's or not. LOL Sometimes I just walk away without giving it to him..but it's great for recalling him into the house..he comes running in a mad dash. LOL
Jackie

deezeldog said:
For a while there Diesel was manufacturing urgent trips outside just to get the treat he always got when he came back in. Now that we know he has food allergies and I am restricting him only to the one food we are feeding him for meals --- there are no more treats during the day. He comes back in -- runs to the treat cabinet -- looks up hopefully and then I let him down hard. Poor guy!

#41 ·
Same here..kibble is used as treats for training..etc. He does get a biscuit after his meals..but other than that...nothing else during the day.
Jackie

Endofile said:
YardleyLabs said:
.... no training treats after about age 4-5 months, ....
I can't imagine how I wuld make any progress training Hershey without treats. Treats are defined as kibble except for unleasehed recall which is a sausage cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Kong while we are eating dinner, is filled with kibble which is taken from her 1.5 cups dinner portion.

#43 ·
I agree..I've told SU to not look at either one if we're eating..unless they are away from the table doing something naughty, which is not often. As I said...Dakota is fairly good..he'll lay down while we eat...mostly it's the morning thing..he always seems so much more hungry after I give him breakfast..it's the overnight thing I guess.
Jackie

lubmylabs said:
Just don't look at them! My MIL keeps saying she's going to get sunglasses for our two so she can't see the pleading eyes. She just can't say no to them. We left Kira with my in-laws for 5 days when we took a little trip and when we put her on the plane to come home she weighed 3 kilograms (~7lb I think?) more than when we left her. If I really want to give them something, they get a carrot. In summer they love ice cubes. And if I eat a yogurt they get to lick the container afterwards. These are all things they can enjoy without adding weight.

#44 ·
I trained Teko to ring a bell when he needs to go outside for potty. I unfortunately taught him using a treat, so not only does he ring the bell when he needs to go potty, he rings it whenever he wants a treat, nothing short of 12 times a night. Needless to say, I don't give him a treat, but bless his heart, he still gives it the old college try!

#45 ·
We put one of those Christmas bell type thingys on the door handle..tried to train him to do that..but now what he does is..whine!!! Who would'ave thunk it!! Most of the time when he whines..he really does have to go potty. When he wants to play outside, he barks!
Jackie

lab lover said:
I trained Teko to ring a bell when he needs to go outside for potty. I unfortunately taught him using a treat, so not only does he ring the bell when he needs to go potty, he rings it whenever he wants a treat, nothing short of 12 times a night. Needless to say, I don't give him a treat, but bless his heart, he still gives it the old college try!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.