JL coming together to help another member
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JL coming together to help another member

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultJL coming together to help another member

We’ve al lgrown attached to many labs on this board. Is there any way we could collectively make donations and they would be distributed to members whom needed the assistance with major medical bills?

I guess this would mean someone taking care of the funds and distributing it as necessary, without trying to offend anyone. anyone know how, or willing to take on this challange?

Maybe a sub category that would mean that a donation go to a specific dog. I know that this board represents all members from different financial status. This wouldn’t be for the more common aliments just for the severer or life threading.

Any other input or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: JL coming together to help another member

That's a good thought. Let's see what others think. ???

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

This is a wonderful idea. I have no idea how to work the issue of collecting and idstributing the funds. Or for setting up how the funds might be distributed tothose in need. I forget names, but someone had set somethig up to collect and distribute for the Dakota transport, and someone else is involved with assistance to getting dogs neutered, again from the Dalkota transport effort. Maybe some help or guidance on what would be required could be provided and then someone may chose to step up to the challenge. I percieve the hardest part is figuring out how to say no to someone.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok..my input for what it's worth. I think basically it's a great idea..BUT..the other side of this is..we basically know most of the regular/old timers..but what if..someone is on the board for just a while..or we just don't know this person that well..it would be very easy to scam for some money. I'm sorry..I just had to bring that up..I've contributed in the past to help people here..or to help labs in rescue..but money is not something some of us can just afford to "give" away. So..any ideas on how to make sure the "need" is for sure..other than people we know here for a long time I mean. I apologize if I've offended anyone..but today's world is not..a nice one at times.
    If I've angered anyone..I will keep my mouth shut..I just wanted to bring up the other side of helping.
    Jackie

Great idea...Do you know about this group?

Here is their site.... http://www.labradorlifeline.org/about-lll.htm

They do this exact type work. I try to support them whenever I can. In the past, we have rallied at times to assist someone's Lab in need. So, it has been done in the past and i think it's a good idea.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

sadly, I've seen any number of people scam the good hearted members of internet forums - it is easy to create a convincing story.

If something like this is set up, I would recommend that funds ONLY be released to the vet clinic involved.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Jackie,

I don't think you have angered anyone, at least I hope not. Your points are certainly valid. Now, none of the people currently on these boards would do something like you postulated because we are all oure Lab Lovers and great people. But some stranger may take advantage like you say if it were know this resource existed. Putting someone in the position of judge to decide who gets how much, or a committee (the dog would be dead before a committee could decide) is hard to get someone to volunteer to do that, and harder to make decisions, especially denials.

I wonder if setting up a category for help requests when care is required but unaffordable could be set up and the opportunity for each of us to send something voluntarily and direct would work. I don't anticipate being on the requesting side, and wouldlike to think that I would be willng to offer some assistance, maybe small when someone I knew through these boards and their dog needed help.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

IMOM is another established organization with similar goals, and the experience and staff to check out stories. And I believe that they encourage people to fundraise to supplement the money raised....

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Well, as someone who works in banking, I see all sorts of complications with this. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a wonderful idea and shows how caring this board is; but how would the funds be accounted for--who would audit the bank account and the use of the funds? How would we even know how much was in the fund--most people don't announce how much they are contributing. Lots of questions on checks and balances!
    Leave it to me to see fraud (in capital letters!) written all over this!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Thank you for understanding...I didn't want to be the first one to bring up the bad side..but!!! At least others here feel the same way.
    It IS a great idea..it's the execution of the idea that could lead to problems. Thanks again!!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Jackie,

I don't think you have angered anyone, at least I hope not. Your points are certainly valid. Now, none of the people currently on these boards would do something like you postulated because we are all oure Lab Lovers and great people. But some stranger may take advantage like you say if it were know this resource existed. Putting someone in the position of judge to decide who gets how much, or a committee (the dog would be dead before a committee could decide) is hard to get someone to volunteer to do that, and harder to make decisions, especially denials.

I wonder if setting up a category for help requests when care is required but unaffordable could be set up and the opportunity for each of us to send something voluntarily and direct would work. I don't anticipate being on the requesting side, and wouldlike to think that I would be willng to offer some assistance, maybe small when someone I knew through these boards and their dog needed help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast