Jonah's Diabetes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonah's Diabetes

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultJonah's Diabetes

Hi,
    Just last week my 10 yr old Chocolate lab was having an awful lot of "pee-ing" accidents. He had very rarely pee'd indoors since he was a pup and i knew instantly that something was wrong.
    In England just lately we have had more than our fair share of rain- i know it seems like it's always raining over here but we usually have a bit of sun this time of year!- and everytime Jonah went out in the back yard he was frantically lapping at the puddles that had formed or trying to drink from the plant pots.
    I took him to our vet who ran some tests and it turns out that Jonah has diabetes. I have to give him 2 insulin shots a day which i have found quite hard to do- 4 days in and I'm getting better- as is Jonah, the excessive drinking and pee-ing has stopped and the twinkle has returned to those beautiful hazel eyes.
    It's going to be life changing but we'll get through it- has anybody else had experience of caring for a diabetic dog? ;D

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GibsonsMom is offline Member

DefaultRe: Jonah's Diabetes

Hi,

Not with a dog, but with a cat...

There is definitley a learning/comfort curve with injecting insulin, but it will become very easy with time, almost second nature. Overall, it is not too expensive ...just the beginning upstart costs of tests, diagnosis, and insulin regulation can run high.

My vet did not recommend testing my cat's blood sugars with a glucose meter, but my friend who has a diabetic cat does test with a meter using blood from the ear, and their cat has lived very well with diabetes and is quite healthy. My cat developed pancreatic cancer several years ago, and we put him down when he began to suffer.

Good thing I got all that practice giving injections and dosing insulin, because 9 months after our cat passed away, my 9 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. :-\ He's doing very well, thank goodness, and I believe that testing blood sugars is very important and has been a key factor in my son's good health.

I wish I tested my cat with a meter. I'd ask your vet about testing the dog. In my experiences, I have seen it make a difference.

Best of luck,
    Karen from RI

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Glad you found out what was wrong. I have no experience with a diabetic dog, just my daughter. I'm sure you will get the hang of what to do. It can be very over whelming at first. Will keep Jonah in my thoughts.

Brookville, Pa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry about Jonah. I have no experience with a diabetic dog but have a diabetic husband. It's definitely manageable and with a dog I am sure it's easier than with a husband who does not always want to do the right thing. I am sure after the initial shock, you both will adjust and do just fine.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

No experience, just wanted to say that it sounds like you are handling it very well.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

kassabella is offline Senior Member

No experience. Just wanted to say good thoughts for a quick adjustment.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

No personal experience either, however a friend had a diabetic cat, and after a while the cat actually CAME to him, and laid down , knowing the injection would make him feel better...... it was quite easy he said.

I hope it gets easier for both you and Jonah.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I had a lab mix that had to get 2 shots a day. It was tough at first, but with the mind set that this is for their own good, you get into a routine. It's never a fun thing to do but it's a loving thing to do. She lived after she was diagnosed with it for 2 1/2 years and passed at the age of 13 of the dreaded cancer. Nothing related to diabetes. Sometimes life just sucks but you get through. Glad you found out what was up with Jonah and now he can live a normal life. Keep up the good work, kiss that sweet boy for me. :-*

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Good for you and Good for jonah for working on managing his diabetes.

I have a diabetic cat, and have learned a lot about the disease through him. There is a very steep learning curve, and just like with anything in life there are good days and bad days.

I strongly suggest a high protein low carb diet. And test, test and test some more.

Blood glucose meters are usually cheap or free. The test trips are more expensive but worth it. The urine test strip are very inexpensive.

Get a small notebook so you can keep a record of his tests and shot

This board is a great resource with very knoledable people. It's still mostly cats, but there are people with diabetic dogs and even a diabetic goat

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/list.php?8

Not with a dog but with a husband...Oh, I remember those nights when he would pace the house drinking gallon after gallon of any liquid of any kind and just about took up residence in the bathroom.
    Insulin is an amazing drug. Good luck with Jonah....I'm glad he is feeling better already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast