tick - help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tick - help

Defaulttick - help

My wife found this n the draw of my 4 month old son today. Need some help. It could have come from our lab, but he is on frontline plus and it was alive in a draw.

1) Is this a tick? If not, what is it?
    2) If so, what kind?
    3) Male or female?
    4) engorged or not?
    5) How long does a tick stay engorged?

Please help - fyi, we live and play in NY/NJ area

http://okee.smugmug.com/photos/180121212-L.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: tick - help

here is the image

Skubaa Guest

I would take it in to your pediatrician and show him/her. I don't think you'll ever stop worrying until you do. Or, you could compare to pictures on the internet. It doesn't look like one to me. The ticks I saw growing up in Missouri all looked like bleached out grapes when they are engorged. Also, I didn't think ticks had that long of antenae. It would be kind of hard having those and embedding your head into someone. But, better safe if it would give you peace of mind.

I feel your pain though. Living in CT, not sure there is anyone in this state that doesn't know someone with lyme disease. That is one thing that just keeps us out of the woods.

DG

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

we did go to the doctor and show him - he thought it was, but there is nothing he can do,but have us watch him for any signs.

to me it looks like a tick as well - BUT, it looks more and more like it only has 6 legs, not 8 and has 2 antenna coming out of his head.

hmmmmm

here is another image

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think you have some kind of beetle, but could be wrong. It wold be strange to find a tick in a drawer. The leg count also is an non-tick indicator. Are you near a university, or any kind of natrual preserve. They will often have some level of bug expert around.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I was thinking Beetle too...but can't seem to find a picture of one that matches it. I looked at the ticks, and they seem flatter. I would see if you can bring it to someone that knows creatures. Maybe even your vet?? Keep us posted. Curious what you have there.

KLM

I could post your picture on this Flickr group if you don't mind me coping your picture and uploading it to my account:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/7090749...7594133187693/

I am not sure. I know ticks in the nymph stage can only have six legs, but those legs look longer than a tick. I would take it to your count health department for identification if you kept it. Our dept. will id. them and tell you if it is a female/ male, etc. My daughter got a deer tick on her this fall. We removed it ourselves and had it identified. She was having a reaction to the bite because part of the tick's head still remained in her back. Not uncommon with deer ticks for the head to remain. The dr. easily removed the remaining part and prescribed antibiotics for two weeks as preventative. She has had no problems since and never showed signs of Lyme disease.
    I was of course shocked that she had one. They said she could have gotten it from the pumpkin farm we were at or from our dog. They can crawl on the dogs, but not stay on if they are treated as our dog was. They usually stay on the host for some time if they are feeding. You would see a small red mark on your son and they usually itch because of the irritation they cause to the skin.
    It could just be some weird kind of insect. It is strange that it would end up in a drawer. Good luck. I would really see if your health dept. can help you out. They deal with that kind of stuff all the time and are usually very helpful.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

UGH!!! That picture gave me chills!!!

I don't think it's a tick. I'm no entomologist, of course.

I had a tick removed from me that I thought could have been there as long as 36 hours. Long story. Kevin pulled him off and didn't get the head. : I was concerned and saved the tick, and my Mom suggested we transport the body of the tick to the County Agricultural Extension Service. There is a guy on staff there who is one of the Master Gardeners, and he happens to specialize in insect identification.

That was one of the most fun field trips I have ever taken as an adult. Seriously. They should book the Girl Scouts for tours of this guy's office. Tarantulas, black widows, various other creepy insects in plastic fish containers.

He put my tick body under a microscope, and then there it was on a huge computer screen, so the tick body image was bigger than my head. He then talked about the various ways of identifying specific ticks: Mouthparts are the most telling, but since those were still embedded in my underarm, the next best way was to look at the leg joints.

He successfully identified my tick and had a range of age for it as well. I went home satisfied that I wasn't going to die, and I have never forgotten that field trip.

So anyway, maybe Co. Extension Office would be a good place to ask?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Felix Guest

No, that's not a tick

It is an other type of creature i dont know, but it's not a tick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast