should I be concerned
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I be concerned

mistonia is offline Senior Member

Defaultshould I be concerned

well silly 8 month pup went for a rottweiler the other day. Apparently it started when she was cleaning its bowl of dog food and she was growling at bonnie and bonnie growling and snarling back well tara the rottie sort of pinned her to the floor as if to say enough was enough but never bit or harmed her just a warning she was boss. Well tara started to walk away and bonnie went for her and pounced on her to fight and started laying into her but was quickly pulled off. Should I be concerned about her agressiveness see barks at dogs that bark at her and she has went for other dogs on the lead when they were showing agressiveness towards her. Not to mention she has bit my partner a few times when getting repremanded.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: should I be concerned

to be clear:

Bonnie the labrador stole food from the rottie
    rottie got annoyed and growled at lab
    lab growled back, whereupon rottie flattened lab
    lab retaliated after rottie made her point?

no blood was drawn?

do both these dogs belong to you? If so, feed them in seperate rooms. Dogs should not be expected to share nicely.

What were the circumstances of the other bite? Have you contacted a local trainer? Issues like this are very difficult to resolve online.

Skubaa Guest

I think the bite to your partner would worry me more than the wrestling with another dog at this point. There is no excuse for biting a human. Your scenarios are two of a kind.

Rottie disciplined lab.
    lab retaliated.

Partner disciplined lab.
    lab retaliated.

In both instances, it sounds like your lab is showing no respect for a dominant figure and in fact is attempting to practice dominance on you as well as other dogs. Personally, I would seek help either from a trainer or a behaviorist or both.

On a side note:
    "Dogs should not be expected to share nicely. " I actually had good luck with this when it came to my 2 previous dogs--shep/lab mix and border collie/shep mix. They were the exception and not the rule. Both bowls were kept out at about 4 feet apart and both usually had food in them---they never really worried about finishing their food and they respected the other's food. They would eat on their own twice a day. It was weird. They also shared a common, normal size water bowl--sometimes drinking at the same time. They were male and female and you'd think they were married. Both pound dogs rescued 2-3 years apart. Your statement just brought up some warm remembering of how special they were together.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris I think the lab pup went for the rottie. Yes, I would be very concerned about her biting your partner and the rottie.

mistonia is offline Senior Member

thanks I wasn't there as my sister was looking after her but she apperantly turned very viscous agains the rottie after she out her down. The twice she bit my partner he had told her off once in the car for chewing wires he had took her nose away and tapped her on the nose the second time she bit him he was driving at the time. and other time was in the kitchen after she had made a mess of the kitchen/dining room with things she had destroyed. Shes not showed any agression towards me at all, complete opposite. I haven't had much training done with her, but she does the basics but just not very obeidient, never has been. shes a good retriever, and she was not what I was expecting temp wise for the breed, shes distructive, hyper active, disobiedient, stupid, and now showing low level agression. complete opposite to our black lab in all ways.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Call a local trainer or behaviourist.

Every dog is different (I have three dogs here, all with completely different personalities.) just like people do.

Kymberley is offline Senior Member

Your pup isn't stupid, she's a pup. 8 month old pup = formal training time. For you and your partner, as you both must train her. She may be different from your other lab, but that's what's great about dogs. They all have different personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by honey
    thanks I wasn't there as my sister was looking after her but she apperantly turned very viscous agains the rottie after she out her down. The twice she bit my partner he had told her off once in the car for chewing wires he had took her nose away and tapped her on the nose the second time she bit him he was driving at the time. and other time was in the kitchen after she had made a mess of the kitchen/dining room with things she had destroyed. Shes not showed any agression towards me at all, complete opposite. I haven't had much training done with her, but she does the basics but just not very obeidient, never has been. shes a good retriever, and she was not what I was expecting temp wise for the breed, shes distructive, hyper active, disobiedient, stupid, and now showing low level agression. complete opposite to our black lab in all ways.
    She does not sound stupid to me at all...She has everyone around her trained to get her way. You need to get a professional behavioist in on this case right away. Don't wait.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I am a firm believer that there are no stupid dogs. All can be trained.

What you have is, well, what you have is Angus. You are having a hard time adjusting to this type of personality because your last Lab was like my Crash. I can completely relate.

Out of curiousity, does Bonnie walk around with her tail straight up in the air all the time? Does she stare at other dogs and adopt a rigid posture?

Dominant types can be challenging, to be sure. But they are not stupid. Far from it. Angus is smart as a whip. I've never seen smarter. But he is majorly hardheaded and has his own agenda for EVERYTHING. It could appear to the casual observer that he is stupid, but it's just that he's very much of his own mind about things.

I agree that some kind of formal training is in order. See if you can find a dog club near you that offers obedience classes. This would be ideal, as there will be many experienced brains to pick at such a place.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

**Whoa Whoa Whoa!! The pup is 8 weeks old, he is nothing but cute right now!!!**

The original post said the puppy is 8 months old... biting and aggression at this age can be dangerous.

--Kathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast