Should I be Worried??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be Worried??

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultShould I be Worried??

I took Tal to the lake this afternoon and all was going well until this man shows up with (not sure exactly what specific breed) a Spaniel looking dog. She was friendly and she and Tal got along great! They played in the water. The man had a soft bumper (definitely gonna get one of those!) that Tal would retrieve but his wouldn't.

Anyway, I had seen a dead catfish (had been there for some time) and managed to keep Tal away from it. The Spaniel saw it carried it a ways and her owner had to almost take it out of her mouth. Of course, Tal had to invesitgate and he went to it a couple of times and licked it and started to pick it up. The good thing is when I said "Let it go" he did. My concern is that he handled it enough to pick up some kind of bug. I am probably worried for nothing because I know they eat stuff we never see that's alot worse..but still. ANy advice??

The good thing was Tal obeyed much better than I would have expected...not perfect but still better than I would have guessed. Definitely need to work on his recall a little more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Should I be Worried??

I take Erns to the harbour inlet. I can't do as good a job as a Lab so he finds something yucky. Except for the maggoty bit of chicken he ate most of he drops it when I tell him to. He found a kids school lunch in the bushes last week.

I don't kow about the U.S.A. bugs, but Ernie is fine.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't be overly concerned.....just keep a close eye on him for the next 24hrs.

Matt has been known to eat blow fish at the beach and hasn't poisoned himself yet :-\

Won't someone please feed me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mistonia is offline Senior Member

My pup eats everything literally. other day the dogs found a live bird in the haylage one that was just at the stage of growing feathers. well the dogs killed it and our pup ate it. she swollowed it whole when trying to prise it out of her mouth her usual trick so you can't take it of her. Other day was funny though she ate half a sausage straight off the barbecue, piping hot well five mins later she was sick, brought the sausage up whole. : .

I think his stomach is tough enough to handle it. At least he didnt roll in it ;D

Quote Originally Posted by JustJeff
    At least he didnt roll in it ;D
    Well true..there's that..

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Tal should be ok. When I lived at the beach, Prudence was always getting into dead fish, crabs, birds, etc. She would try and roll in them, but also got in a few good licks :

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Thanks..I guess I am just paranoid after the goose poop incident where he got the dirrhea. Differet thing, I know...but I just can't stand to see him under the weather...

Kaylasmom is offline Senior Member

Jake unfailingly heads for the most disgustingly dead thing on the beach, he actually leaves fish that are too fresh--and remembers where they are so he can get them 3 or 4 days later :-X, so I think Labradors have stomachs of iron. Tal should be fine. It's great that he dropped it, we're still working on that.
    So, do you come here often?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylasmom
    Jake unfailingly heads for the most disgustingly dead thing on the beach, he actually leaves fish that are too fresh--and remembers where they are so he can get them 3 or 4 days later :-X, so I think Labradors have stomachs of iron. Tal should be fine. It's great that he dropped it, we're still working on that.
    I hear ya...Once I think he was gonna eat it tho and I had to touch his collar. He left it alone then tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast