Polka dot lawn

Thread: Polka dot lawn

DefaultPolka dot lawn

So we have this great backyard in our new house, which Clarence loves! However, we have a bit of a problem and I wanted to see if anyone has any good solutions...So wherever Clarence pees, the grass dies. We have a nice green lawn with brown polka dots. We've been giving him cranberry pills with each meal (2 per meal, 4 total) and to no avail. It's like he pees acid. Is there any solution to this or will we have a polka dotted lawn until the whole thing dies in the winter? TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deezeldog Guest

DefaultRe: Polka dot lawn

I have no solution. My female pees right on top of wherever my male pees. She actually stands there and waits for him to be done.

So my backyard is polka dotted as well.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I've actually seen stuff in the pet stores that supposedly neutralizes the acid in their urine. I have no clue if it works, because I have not tried it. I'm interested to see if anyone else has used those products and if they work. My back yard could use a few dozen bottles if it works ;D.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

k8show is offline Senior Member

Could you encourage him to just go in one spot?
    Katie and Boo

Yeah, DH and I were standing out there yesterday, surveying Clarence's handy work and we talked about training him to pee in the river rocks that ring the yard. Might be our weekend project...

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

We have the opposite situation.
    Droughted lawn is beige and nearly dead and it is polka dotted with green grass where Auggie has peed. Bud (hubby) thinks it is a 'nitrogen' effect as we feed a no grain kibble.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There are theories ot there on how to limit the amonia or whatever in dogs urine. I don't think it is good for their health.

You are already on to an option to attempt to train them to go in a specific spot.
    There is an option to have a gallon jug of water with you every time they go out and pour it over the spot they pee in to dilute it.
    A couple seed comapnies make a patch mix, mulch and seed. As soonas yo see a spot turning, just pour some out, add water, and off you go. Just like divot repairs on the golf course.
    You can get rid of the dog, (NOT A SERIOUS SUGGESTION)
    You can take your dog over to a neighbors year to pee. (NOT A .....A......A....Uh! ... What was I going to type here?)
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

The vet told me not to give them the stuff to change their urine. Basically you are changing their system from acidic to alkaline without knowing how acidic they were, and this can cause other issues. I go with HK, pour water on the spots to dilute.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I too have a friend that has 2 female Labs and she gave them that stuff to change their urine.... she had to stop, because it gave them problems.... it isn't worth the dogs health, just to have a beatiful lawn in my opinion. We have spots too, from Ginger, but the boys all hike their legs on a bush or a rock, and that keeps it off the lawn. I'd say try to train him to go in one spot. Buy something like a statue of a fire hydrant for him. I have a concrete one, and sometimes they hike on it.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/