Some of you know that I took Rookie to Michigan State yesterday to have him examined by an ortho vet because he's been limping for awhile now.
Rookie was diagnosed with Cranial Cruciate Ligament Disease in his back left leg. At this point, it's not a typical tear, it's a degeneration of the ligament that will eventually lead to a rupture if not corrected surgically. The problem is, the surgery will damage the growth plates, so the recommendation is to wait until his growth plates are closed...which could mean 6 months, or it could mean longer as Rookie's line seems to be a slower maturing line.
In the interim, I need to keep Rookie leaner, give Rhymadil as needed for pain, and to continue to exercise him (but I won't allow him to overdo it). I will continue to train him for obedience, hunt tests, therapy work, and rally....but agility and the show ring are not an option for us at this point.
The recommended surgery for Rookie is TPLO...which I am not looking forward to...financially or for my boy.
While I am sad of this news...my heart aches not for me...but for my little boy who is just the biggest love.
Thought I would let y'all know.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003