Big trainning session this weekend (Update at Top, Good News)

Thread: Big trainning session this weekend (Update at Top, Good News)

DefaultBig trainning session this weekend (Update at Top, Good News)

(Update 8/6/07)
    I don't think Duke has seen or heard that rattle can for five years but I got it out of the cabinet before we left for the dog park. In the kitchen I gave it one good shake and Duke, with a very strange look on his face, immediately sat. I'm not even sure he knew why but somewhere in that back memory his brain said sit when he heard that sound.
    At the park I put the can into my pocket and we entered the park. Duke passed a few dogs but when he cam to a group of three he went into his dominant mounting mode. I slapped the can in my pocket and that sound was enough to break him out of that mind set and he again sat and looked at me. As soon as the other dogs moved off I called him over and lavished praise on him. We then moved to an unoccupied area where the boys sniffed and played in puddles.
    Then Duke saw a group of dogs approaching and headed off down the trail. He was thirty yards away when I gave the can a shake and called his name. He turned around and sat in the middle of the trail looking at me and stayed until I got to him. Again, praise then I said "this way" and he took off with a smile.
    The big test came yesterday when the park was very crowded. Duke and Freckles were again romping in a big mud puddle when two Great Danes raced up and waded in.For some crazy reason Duke absolutely loves to try to mount Great Danes. Well, sure enough he immediately was up trying to mount when a good can shake got his attention and he sat right there in the middle of the puddle. I let him sit until the Danes moved on then we went on our way.
    I am now sure that after a few more training sessions at the park Duke will realize this behavior in not going to be tolerated and stop alltogether.
    He earned a Frost Paws treat when we got home. I plopped the frozen treat into his bowl where he snarfed the whole thing into his mouth and after two or three chews gulped the rest down. My teeth hurt just thinking about chewing ice cream but Duke was one happy boy.

I posted a few days ago about Duke's domination mounting at the dog park but nobody had any suggestions on stopping it. This weekend I plan to take along the rattle can to see if he will stop when I shake it. He was trained years ago to sit when you shake that can to get his attention. Hopefully I can break him of this annoying behavior. If I can't get it under control I will not be able to send him to Camp Canine for the two weeks we will be in France this fall. At Camp Canine the dogs are all allowed to run as a pack and are not kept in individual kennels. Duke has had several week long stays at the camp but that was before he started this behavior.
    Duke and Freckles are in the second photo on the first page of the Camp Canine website: http://www.campcaninetexas.com/
    If I can't control him I also plan to have his Vet do a comprehensive blood workup in a couple of weeks when I take him in for his annual physical. In researching this problem I read that a hyperthyroid may cause this behavior in a neutered dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Big trainning session this weekend

Duke there are places for that behavior and most would disagree that camp is not one of them.. ;D But for now you must be on your best behavior!

Good luck!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

is there a no humping rule at this dog camp? won't the supervising person monitor this type of behavior for all the dogs there and correct or prevent such behavior as a part of their job?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

is there a no humping rule at this dog camp? won't the supervising person monitor this type of behavior for all the dogs there and correct or prevent such behavior as a part of their job?
    The camp has rules like no unaltered dogs and overly aggressive dogs. I once asked her what she did if a problem arose and she said she does have runs to separate dogs if needed. She also does supervise all outside play and pool sessions. I am just afraid that this behavior may escalate into real aggression on Duke's part or the dog he is trying to dominate.
    I also do not want to tolerate this behavior at the dog park and I don't want to cause a problem with other dog owners at the park. It's just frustrating.

the rattle may help you redirect his attention, but i don't know if there is any good way of supressing his urge to hump. i know some dogs really enjoy it or it's like an outlet for their excitement/stress. usually, someone has to halt or prevent the humping by being right there, or the dog being humped protests or ignores the humper. i agree it's bad manners at a dog park, so it's good that you're stopping it when you see him doing it. my best suggestion is work on getting and maintaining his focus and motivate him to do something else so that he forget his urge to hump in favor of engaging in another activity. increased exercise, mental and physical, may help, too. good luck.

i've thought of something that i would do if duke were my dog.
    at the dog park, i'd keep my eye on duke and as soon as he humps a dog, i'd leash him up and take him home. not taking a break, but going home.
    it's inconvenient for you, but i think this might be effective.
    the problem with correcting duke for humping and then letting him do it again only to hump again and again is definately frustrating, and when you train this way, you may be teaching duke to become a better humper, looking for more opportunties to do it, knowing he is going to get another chance when you're some distance away. getting punished for getting caught is no big deal because humping itself is so rewarding for him, especially when there are additional opportunities to try humping again a short time later.

btw, ocassionally, luke will fancy a dog and try to hump that dog, but when i call out luke's name, he stops, and it's not a recurring enough problem for us that i feel the need to work and train.

DefaultRe: Big trainning session this weekend (Update at Top, Good News)

Update at top.