Ok, what the heck is going on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, what the heck is going on?

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultOk, what the heck is going on?

Billie is stone cold housebroken. I mean it. The dog can go 12 hours without a potty break if she has to. I try never to let that happen but she can.

My mom comes to visit, she piddles. She cowers, rolls over and piddles when mom first comes in and greets her. I tell mom to ignore her when she first gets there. My mom LOVES this dog and is not threatening in any way.

Then, last night my friend Heather gets there. Same thing only Bille out and out pees. And when Heather got up this morning it was a full on pee, since I hadn't taken her out yet. Heather is not threatening either. She is excited to meet Billie and Billie is jumping all over her.

What gives?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ok, what the heck is going on?

I dont have any explanation for you but that made me laugh! ;D Even though Sparrow pees whenever she is gretted by anyone .. Even me.. Just because she is so excited.. Even Breed will piddle when She first goes out on her leash.. I mean piddle like everywhere because she is so excited... I think it probably has mostly to do with excitement...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Submissive urination. It has nothing to do whatsoever with housebreaking.

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/app.../suburine.html
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

She's overexcited, and she loses control of herself. Its in no way voluntary or under conscious control - she just can't help it.

Ask your guests to keep greetings very casual and low key, and it may help if you have Billie on leash and keep her in a sit-stay while she says hello.

BudGirl8 Guest

I don't get it though...it didn't happen when she first met Scott, who is 6'2" and has a really deep voice. It happened with Heather who isn't much over 5 feet tall, and my mother who might seem imposing once in a while but who was very kind and loving when she met Billie.

I'm trying to figure out what it is about these two women that inspires submission when she ran me over the first time I met her, she jumped on Scott, she usually greets strangers with joy and abandon. :-\

I would have her checked for a UTI just incase. If it's not that I'm not sure why she would have just started this.

BudGirl8 Guest

I think that article may have answered my question. They might've hovered over her and others don't. I know Heather did anyway. That's how she greets her cats so it was automatic for her to do the same with Billie. *lightbulb goes on over head*

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BudGirl8
    I don't get it though...it didn't happen when she first met Scott, who is 6'2" and has a really deep voice. It happened with Heather who isn't much over 5 feet tall, and my mother who might seem imposing once in a while but who was very kind and loving when she met Billie.

I'm trying to figure out what it is about these two women that inspires submission when she ran me over the first time I met her, she jumped on Scott, she usually greets strangers with joy and abandon. :-\
    If she is very fond of these people it could be the excitement that causes it. It's not always fear.

the link I posted explains it a little better.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

When I was a kid, we had a little poodle mix, Heidi. Whenever my mother's friend Marie visited, Heidi would prostrate herself and puddle everywhere.. and that was the only person she reacted to in that way.

Marie LOVED scents, and bathed herself in perfume every day.. our theory was Heidi was reacting to the overpowering scent. But in reality we, and you, will never be sure - could be their scent, could be their behaviour, could be something about their appearance or what happens when they visit.

BudGirl8 Guest

I teased Heather this morning and said it was her curly hair. My mom has really short hair but it's a bit curly too. Billie has never met Heather before last night. But she got really excited, and as soon as Heather was within reach and touching Billie it was piddle and belly roll.

*shrugs* who knows. I guess we'll find out as time goes on if she does it with anyone else.

We'll be instituting the "no hovering, and please ignore the dog for five minutes" rule when people first come in. Maybe that will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast