Things you labs just know....without being told. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things you labs just know....without being told.

DefaultRe: Things you labs just know....without being told.

I have a locking child safety gate in the kitchen to keep Riley "in" while I am not supervising him. A couple weeks ago I went out the gate and secured it (I thought) between the wall and stove. I looked around and Riley was sitting next to me. I watched to see what happens. If I don't lock it securely he sticks his nose in and slides it till he can push it open. If I lock it he just sits there and waits. The walking attire, treats in the pocket or leash all get him excited. He only goes to the front door if I have leash and walking clothes even though I sometimes take him out the back. I guess he likes the exposure we get going out the front door.

I am constantly amazed at how smart he is and things he does on his own. Now if he would just learn that my trash next to the desk is not his treat jar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

ours get excited whenever we pack bags or pile things in front of the garage door. they're hoping and excited by the possiblity of an outting. ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wesley knows our girls' schoolbus by sound alone. There must be 25 buses that stop at our corner on an average schoolday; yet he'll only rise and go bonkers when he knows THEIRS has deposited them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I believe that we often underestimate what they really know.

During the week both boys automatically go into thier crates after their last outside even though we no longer close the gates. On Saturday and Sunday they ignore the crates.

Duke also starts to sulk when he sees us bring out suitcases.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

We usually run errands in my car. But trips to the dog parks are always in the DWs SUV.

I have a backpack for the DP equipment (chuck it, bumpers, extra long lead, special frisbee, water bowl, etc.) It is always ready to go, no special packing required on departure.

Trips out without the backpack in hand, HK waits forus to get to the door before approaching, then sits and waits until we are out and she is invited. Then she runs to her leak spot and then wanders to my car.

If I touch, go near, look at the backpack which hangs above her crate, not near the door, she is at the door, tail going crazy, doing a paw dance, and out at the first crack of the door. Straight to the back of the SUV, no leak stop, and jumping wildly waiting for the door to be opened.

No! She is dumb. She has no idea what that backpack is for. For someone to think that dogs have memory is absurd. HK has no idea where we are going, none, nada. And anyone that believes this last paragraph, please see me about buying some beach front property in Arizona.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Skubaa Guest

Phoebe knows bedtime is crate time and goes and waits in the crate for me to get ready for bed. She also knows to just stick her head out for me to get her collars on before she tries to get out. She is really good about that but I am the only one she does it with. I guess on the flip side, she knows when her collars come off, she goes directly to her crate for a treat.

They are sooooo smart.

DG

Pouring wine in wine glasses means ball throwing off porch! ;D
    Maggie will do the twist/jump in the living room just waiting!

I love watching her do this, it's so funny.

Then there are too many to list.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Boo gets super excited when I sit on the floor and put my tennies on--time for a walk! He practices such self restraint and patience. He gets so excited and opens his mouth over my shoes and socks and maybe licks but won't take them even though he's about to waggle right out of his tail.

He's got the hang of keys too. I just noticed that one yesterday.
    Katie and Boo

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    I believe that we often underestimate what they really know.
    I totally agree!!

Too many to list but to name the two top ones:
    When we put on our coats or grab the purse/keys she's going in her crate.
    When we get out her kong out she's going in her crate before we even turn around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast