Need advice..ham bone/HELP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice..ham bone/HELP

DefaultNeed advice..ham bone/HELP

Damn..we're expecting delivery of some new appliances this morning..so I gave Dakota one of those smoked with meat ham bones..for dogs..about 7 or 8 inches with knuckles on each end. I figured he would be gnawing on it for hours..we just went to check..and it was GONE..one little sliver of bone left..which I threw away..I'm in shock and now worried..what should I look for if it was bad for him..or is it ok for him since it was made for dogs..which doesn't give me much reassurance..because lots of things are made for dogs to eat and it doesn't mean it's good for them. Damn damn damn......
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need advice..ham bone/HELP

Was the bone raw or cooked?

momofalab is offline Senior Member

NOt sure what your referring too...but I know Ham bones and any pork bones for that matter aren't good to give to dogs. What is a ham bone for dogs? Is it something you bought at a petstore? I know when my old pup got a hold of a ham bone gave him diarrhea for 2 days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

WOW....he is like Molly. Chews things quickly. I have never given my girls that type of bone but possibly Dakota may get an upset tummy or diarrhea. Then again, with these labs....it may not cause anything.

I bet there are people here who will know more then me.

It says..on the label..Bone Buddies..ham bone..I believe it was smoked..with a bit of meat left on..that's all I know..it was made in the USA...I won't buy any foreign made bones.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster

It looked just like a beef bone..but says Ham Bone...and it is for dogs..bought this in a private pet store..where I buy my Innova. It was a good size bone..maybe 7 or 8 inches long..knuckles on each end..and some meat left on it.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    NOt sure what your referring too...but I know Ham bones and any pork bones for that matter aren't good to give to dogs. What is a ham bone for dogs? Is it something you bought at a petstore? I know when my old pup got a hold of a ham bone gave him diarrhea for 2 days.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackieN
    It says..on the label..Bone Buddies..ham bone..I believe it was smoked..with a bit of meat left on..that's all I know..it was made in the USA...I won't buy any foreign made bones.
    Jackie

So it was cooked? Eeeep. I think if you're going to go with a bone a raw marrow bone is probably much better than that.

I don't know if it would hurt him to eat it that fast... maybe just keep an eye out for any unusual behaviour. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I have tried to find marrow bones down here..other than packaged for dogs marrow bones..I can't find human grade meat dept. bones. This is why I buy "dog" bones. I just bought a bunch of Merrick bones for him...beef bones..haven't tried them out yet. Other than diarhhea..what about perforations..stomach or intestines..is that a possibility?
    My stomach is killing me right now..on top of the stress of having these appliances delivered..now I have to worry about what I may have done to Dakota..
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieN
    Jackie

So it was cooked? Eeeep. I think if you're going to go with a bone a raw marrow bone is probably much better than that.

I don't know if it would hurt him to eat it that fast... maybe just keep an eye out for any unusual behaviour. :-\

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If it is smoked it is as good as cooked. Chances are she will be fine but I wouldn't give her any more in the future.

I made the exact same mistake with Mocha with the same type of bone. It scared the crap out of me when I went back and found a sharp peice left (which I threw away). She was fine though she threw up a few small peices later that night and had a few soft stools but other than that she was fine. I will NEVER buy another one though. I do get smoked femur bones they are stong as rock and they hardley get anything off of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast