Nail Trimming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail Trimming

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultNail Trimming

Okay! I tried. HK was as cooperative as she could be. Left front done, first nail on the right front, got the quick. Blood city. Tried corn starch, no help. DW took care of her while I ran out for Styptic powder. Three applications before it stopped. All this time HK is being an angel. Strange because that is not her normal behavior.

Anyway, I am done. I will pay for someone that knows what they are doing to take care of nail trimming. I know that there are a lot of variables, like how much walking on pavedor concrete srufaces verses carpet. But with that in mind, what would a good average period between nail clipping be, at least for a starting point.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nail Trimming

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Anyway, I am done. I will pay for someone that knows what they are doing to take care of nail trimming. I know that there are a lot of variables, like how much walking on pavedor concrete srufaces verses carpet. But with that in mind, what would a good average period between nail clipping be, at least for a starting point.
    depends a lot on the dog/environment, etc. I'd start with once every 3 weeks or so and go from there.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thank goodness I have never had to trim Maggies nails - she would not let me touch her feet let alone her nails. No way! We are lucky enough to have a nice place for her to run and play that file her nails naturally. The yard does a fine job and it's free.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! That was what I was looking for, some kind of starting point. I thought they could use a trimming, that is why I tried. It has been three weeks since the vet did it, so I guess I am not that far off. I will take her to oneof the grooming places this weekend and see what happens.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

jlab Guest

Once you get them all trimmed to the proper size, just clip the ends off once a week to keep them that way. That keeps them nice and short without all the trauma associated with clipping them when you let them get too long.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I used to take zoe every 4-6 weeks, but she wears her nails at the beach and on concrete.

that said, and since HK was very cooperative, why don't you invest in a dremel (they sell them at Petedge.com). You'll save $ in the long run. That's what I did. I even do the neighborhood dogs. LOL

It's very simple.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    ..., and since HK was very cooperative, why don't you invest in a dremel (they sell them at Petedge.com). You'll save $ in the long run. That's what I did. I even do the neighborhood dogs. LOL

It's very simple.
    Strange, my blood does not bother me at all. But when I draw blood from my pet, I get really upset with myself. I may try again, after watching someone else do it a few times.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, don't give up! I know how awful it is to quick them, I do. I did it once with Crash, and gave up. Never clipped his nails again. I did it again with Angus, but was determined to do it myself this time. I haven't cut too short since with Angus (knock on wood).

To answer your question about length of time between clippings, for Crash it was about once a month. For Angus, it's every two weeks, though it could really stand to be every week.

Simon's nails do not grow anywhere near as quickly as Angus' do. It varies so much from dog to dog.

The secret to successful nail clipping is to do it frequently so you have to take less off.

Are her nails black or pink? Black is a lot harder to judge accurately, but it can be done.

Yes, do get someone to show you. I had the vet watch me do it the first time with Angus. That helped.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Thanks for the encouragement. I am sure that I will try again. Her nails are black as anthracite coal. If there are any older lab lovers from the NE, they will know what I mean by that.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I dremel my dogs nails. No blood!! I do them every week to every 10 days.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast