puppy toy suggestions

Thread: puppy toy suggestions

Defaultpuppy toy suggestions

Hi there. I have recently selected a puppy that will be coming home Aug 13. So I need to get prepared. I am looking for safe toy suggestions. Especially chewing toys that would be safe to leave in crate when puppy is alone.

I guess I should give a short introduction as well. My name is Lashel. I have a 7 yr old male doberman, a cat named Jack, a fish with no name, and two ferrets. My husband lost in lab back in 2001 and I lost my rescue Penny a few months ago. So the puppy search began. I found one much faster than I expected to. So now I am preparing.

I ordered a Nobbly Wobbly ball that looked kind of interesting. I am thinking probably a kong and some nylabones. Any other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: puppy toy suggestions

Puppy KONG- you can fill it with all kinds of things.
    Nylabones

I second the Kong.

Also, Champ really likes his "Cuz" - its a little yellow ball with feet on it, and it squeaks. Got it at PetSmart. Its made of really durable rubber (feels similar to what Kongs are made of) and has lasted for 3 months now without a single piece of rubber coming off (quite a feat in the jaws of a lab!) Whereas he'll really only chew the Kong when there's something in it, but he'll play with the Cuz anytime, just for fun.

PS - that's the Cuz in the siggy pic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

A wubba is similar to the Cuz and has ribbon likes things attached to it instead of feat.

A cheap place to find puppy toys is Walgreens, They have two that have lasted a long time and HK loves.

The first is a stuffed toy that looks like and sayd Milkbone on it and it squeaks,

The second is made of a softer rubber witha squeaker in it. It is multi-colored and looks like one of those things in a game of jacks but has a longer piece in the middle with three prongs sticking ot at each end. It also is easy to squeak. I have no idea why these two have not been destroyed. HL plays with them all the time and they just keep on going and going and going. I think they were $2 each.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I want to make sure I dont buy anything that she will be able to chew pieces off and swallow, or choke on. My other dog isnt big on chewing, other than his raw bones, which the puppy won't be get any of for a while. So I really dont have a lot of chew toys right now.

Toys with supervision:
    - I have a ton of soft toys that I get cheap at Goodwill (like used kids' soft toys without buttons/eyes/etc) and I wash them before letting the dogs have them.
    - squeaky toys
    - "tires" from Petsmart
    - treatballs (everlasting and ones with holes for food)

Ones I'll let them have without close supervision:
    - Cuz
    - Kong
    - nylabone

Fetch toys:
    - bumpers
    - cuz
    - tennis balls
    - soft frisbees (not hard)

The BEST and CHEAPEST, most EXCITING toy for a lab puppy is..... <drumroll>....

An empty plastic 2L pop bottle!!!

Oh - Champ LOVES plastic soda bottles! He started on the 20 oz ones, and has now grown into the 2 liters. They are great toys with supervision, but I wouldn't leave them for Champ to play with unsupervised (worried that he'd chew off a piece of the plastic and swallow it).

Just for fun, here's a pic of Champ playing with his soda bottle:

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxrKUp7BHD7KPfrj%3DQofrj 7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQGxeJnxoelx v8uOc5xQQQ0GGea0laQ0qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPlP %7CRup6G00%7C/of=50,590,393[/img]

Awwww that is too cute!