Kong Newbie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kong Newbie

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultKong Newbie

I have probably posted something to the effect of this before...but Pitch doesn't like his Kong. I have 2, a black and a red one. Different sizes One Large, and one small. I have read where some of you put things in your kong. Even just read that one of you Froze a nice frozen treat. Maybe this is why Pitch hates it...I don't fill it up with goodies, I just give it to him plain.

Can someone give me some Kong ideas to put inside that are kid/dog friendly. Also once they are done with eating, do you wash it? Or is there no need for this?

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kong Newbie

Heres a good thread for this...

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,42802.0.html

I think you can google "kong recipes" for more ideas.

Just be sure to start fairly "easy" so he doesn't get discouraged and give up! 

Ah, and edited to add: YES, washing is a must! They get real slobbery...:-X
    BUT, kongs are dishwasher safe!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Things I've stuff a Kong with- pieces of dog biscuits mixed with peanutbutter or cream cheese. Now I've gotten a little more creative- Today I put a few small pieces of dog treats/cookies in the Kong, spread a little peanutbutter around in there, toss in some pieces of carrot,canned pumpkin (I have that frozen in 1 TBS pieces), more treats, and spread more peanutbutter to block the bottom hole. To keep the Kong upside down while I'm filling it, I put it in a plastic 8 oz disposable cup. The cup also keeps the Kong from rolling out of the freezer. Other things you can put in a Kong- pieces of fruit, yogurt, canned dog food, "squirt" cheese and cream cheese. The Kong company even makes stuff in cans like "squirt" cheese called Kong Stuffin'.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My dog won't touch his kong unless there's something in it. That being said, it's his favorite toy because I always fill it with treats.
    We don't buy the Kong brand treats. You can put anything your dog likes in it. When my dog first started with the kong I made sure to put small treats in there so he wouldn't be frustrated trying to get them out. Now he's an old pro and gets bigger, more challenging treats in the kong. I fill mine with:

Different kinds of Biscuits
    Newman's Own chicken treats
    Wellbars (broken in half)
    Cheerios
    Cheese tortellini
    Cheddar cheese cubes
    Organic hot dogs slices

...not all at once, of course! If I top it off to seal it, it's either with peanut butter or canned pumpkin. Sometimes I'll freeze it and it takes him longer to get to the treats inside. This is a great tool for keeping your pup occupied!

I put mine in the dishwasher and that works great for cleaning.

You can fill it with all kinds of things... I have one but it is a medium size (one size smaller than they reccommend for labs).. I usually put fruit in, like mashed bananas, apple pieces, melon pieces, etc. Peanut butter is also a good thing to put in, just watch how much. In the past, I have put in steak bits, fish bits, pizza bits, bread, and kibble.

My daily kong goes like this:

- 1/2 mashed banana (or other fruit or treat) in the bottom, stuffed down
    - the rest filled up with kibble, squished tightly inside
    - peanut butter smeared around the outisde of the big side, and a little stuffed in the hole on the small side.

You guys are great....maybe Pitch will love me....so this is a daily treat? Or just when you think of it.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

I give Koko a frozen Kong (banana and peanutbutter) about 4 times a week. We usally give it to her when we need her to stay busy for a while or just after guest arrive (it really will calm her down!). Koko is funny after she is done with her kong she puts in in the kitchen on the rug by the sink! I think she is telling me to wash it! Which I always do!

k8show is offline Senior Member

I don't want Boo to get fat ;D so I put lowfat yogurt and green beans and freeze it. If Pitch isn't chubbin up or getting tummy issues, Kong on!
    Katie and Boo

Is almond butter ok? We don't have peanut butter in our house due to Emma having a peanut allergy.

I give Marlan a kong every day before I leave for work (3X a week).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast