Side effects of Prednisone???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side effects of Prednisone???

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

DefaultSide effects of Prednisone???

Finn is on Prednisone for itching. He was licking and biting alot and had little bald spots on his front legs and hips so while he was boarding over the weekend the vet looked at him, gave him a shot and put him on these pills. Well yesterday he had been in his room while I was working and when I got him up he ran downstairs to the back door as always, but he peed all over the floor. This is not common, we haven't had an accident in months. So I shrugged it off, but then this morning when he got up he peed for over a minute then came and ate and went right back outside and peed again. I have not seen him drinking any more than usual so I didn't know if this could be some side effect or what. Another thing he did was shaking and making odd noises while I was fixing his breakfast. This could have been that he was just really excited (and the noises really could have been his tail hitting the sliding glass door) but I know he was shaking. So far he has been normal, no shaking since that one episode and no more crazy potty breaks, but I thought I would check with you guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Side effects of Prednisone???

Yep, that's a side effect of the pred. The funny thing is, the first time Mick was on pred, teh vet told me he would drink more, which would cause him to pee more. It acutally happened the other way around. He also ended up with an amazing appetite. Just a couple of weeks ago, Caleb got a steroid shot for his ear infection, and started peeing up a storm that night.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Prednisone will do that. My lab prior to Maggie and Daisy was on prednisone and did the same thing. She never peed in the house,ever. We had her on prednisone for a month(itching ,etc). I took her off it and changed her food, to figure out what was causing the dryness. The peeing went away.

I don't like prednisone for humans, It's okay for short term. I hear so many horror stories from my wife(she does homecare) I wouldn't want to be on it long term.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I feel better now. I really think the whole shaking thing was just his being hungry and I have noticed the increased appetite now that it was mentioned. Thanks again

I don't think I ever saw Dexter shake, but the poor thing peed RIVERS! I spent all my free time wiping up and washing floors. Plus, it made him really edgy. He's a bit neurotic anyway, but he would fidgit and move around all the time and pant and, of course, he was up at all hours of the night to pee, so I wasn't getting any sleep. It was awful. Hopefully Finn won't be on it very long.

He will be off it this weekend. Thank goodness he hasn't gotten up during the night Just extra potty breaks.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Definitely side-effects of Prednisone.

Have you tried changing his diet for the itching? Shadow was biting her feet a lot, had bald spots on her flanks, and kept getting ear infections. I took her off all wheat, added Missing Link to her new wheat- and corn-free kibble, and the change was amazing. She stopped itching, the hair grew back, and she didn't have any more ear infections ... until she got into the trash and ate part of a loaf of bread and a pizza. :
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    Definitely side-effects of Prednisone.

Have you tried changing his diet for the itching? Shadow was biting her feet a lot, had bald spots on her flanks, and kept getting ear infections. I took her off all wheat, added Missing Link to her new wheat- and corn-free kibble, and the change was amazing. She stopped itching, the hair grew back, and she didn't have any more ear infections ... until she got into the trash and ate part of a loaf of bread and a pizza. :
    No I haven't yet. It's the same food he has been on since he was 8 weeks old and the itching just started a few weeks ago. I am thinking it might be an outside allergy. Maggie has started getting itchy a few days ago and with the yard fenced they run around outside alot more. I know that myself and the hubby have been having allergy issues too. Hopefully its not a food issue but I will keep it in mind. Thanks.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

When Sunshine was on pred for a similar itchy thing (resulted from a swim in a lake) she didn't even wake up - we just found a wet spot on the couch when she finally woke up after a nap and at first we didn't real;ize since she was wet (but I washed the cover to be safe since it seemed really wet) That night we had to change beds in teh middle of the night - I woke up with my feet in a wet spot and realized it was her peeing - she was then crated again while on the pred and her dose was lowered the next day when i called the vet. Havent' hjad any problems since.

I actually came on today looking for info on the side effects of Prednisone. Belle is doing the same things, she is constantly peeing , but she is drinking like threes times as much water as normal. She is acting like she is wild, alot of panting and looking for food like she is starving. All last night she was wondering around in and out of the bed. She totally acts like a different dog. She is on 10 mgs. and vet says to reduce it to a pill every other day after the first week, for about a week then use it as she needs it.
    How long does your dogs usually take it ?
    Sherry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast