Leaving Tater out when no one is home

Thread: Leaving Tater out when no one is home

Tater Tot Guest

DefaultLeaving Tater out when no one is home

OK so Tater has been sleeping out of his crate at nght for two weeks straight now. Before it was a hit or miss. Some nights he was good and went right to sleep. Others he would get up walk around bark and jump on the bed. But I think he has learned that all he as to do is sleep and be VERY VERY QUITE.

So now I need help with leaving him out when no one is home. Here is what I was thinking, start out with 30 minutes in the spear bedroom. LIke when we go to the store or up to the gym. His crate will be going up stairs this weekend I am cleaning it. If he does good on 30 mins do I bump him up to an hour? Or do I start him out on an hour? Or is it to soon to start this? I know this is something that is going to take time. BUt I have faith in him. I know he wont use the bathroom on the carpet. The sleeping out of crate was easier then I thought. Oh and Tater will be 2 this September. And if anyone needs to know, no he has never been trusted out of his crate home alone. He is the type to get bored and find something to get into. THat is why I say spear bedroom, because only thing in there is the ironing board and Codys weight set. Not much he can hurt in there. Oh and the room does have a window for him to look out of also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need some help please

'Oh and the room does have a window for him to look out of also.'

A window that is always closed, right? We had a GSD/Chow mix once. We felt we could trust her in the house and we could. One day the window in our son's room was left open, with screen in place. Nothing in front of window to climb on and look out. Window is 1.5 stories up from the ground on the outside.

we got home to find dog, Misty, sitting on front doorstep. How did she get out? Searched high and low before we spotted the hole in the window screen. She was not hurt in anyway, but never left in the house with a window open again.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Tater Tot Guest

Yes all of the window in our house are always closed. Never really open them but once when the AC wasnt working. But I was home for that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Also, never underestimate the powers of a lab. They can eat carpet if they are bored. Personally Sam, I'd start leaving him out in the kitchen, baby gated in there while you are at the grocery store. He's used to that room. Being suddenly "free" but confined in a spare room or elsewhere, might freak him out a bit.

Tater proof the crap out of your kitchen - all food off counters, any appliance cords he can grab get tucked behind the appliance, any food stuffs in bottom cupboards, lock those cupboards, etc. and then see how he does while you hit the grocery store. If he does well, then increase the frequency with which he's left alone and "free". Put him in the kitchen when you go out front to water plants, even if it's only 10 minutes. Baby steps at first, then you can take bigger ones.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Tater Tot Guest

DefaultRe: Leaving Tater out when no one is home

We have done the kitchen before and he did good in there. We just dont use the baby gate anymore I will need to find it. We leave him in free range when we are outside on our phone or if we are washing the car. He has never really done anything wrong in those 10 mins to 30 mins.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I agree with Karina about the kitchen. He's used to that room. Definitely get childproof locks for any cabinets or drawers that he can reach.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Yeah - never underestimate these dogs of ours - I picked up EVERYTHING when I started leaving Harley in the dog bedroom uncrated - and she ate THE FEET off the ironing board...who woulda thunk it?

I think Tater is going to be a good boy.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

I have been leaving Mambo in our room now for months. He loves it in there and since he stays in there at night with us he is pretty use to the room anyway. From what I can tell he sleeps most of the day.

We are now working our way up to free roam of the whole house again. We tried when he was younger. It worked for a few months than he got into this stage. So back in the crate he went. But we dont even have the crate set up any more.

Jerome tried yesterday for about two hours and when he came home Mambo was asleep in his bed. Mambo was never a real big chewer. Plus we take him for a 1.5 mile walk before we leave him in the morning.

You may be suprised how good he may be. Give him a chance. But make sure anything you pick everything up. My room is really clutter free now. Nothing for him to chew on but the bed.

Tater Tot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVLABBYS
    I think Tater is going to be a good boy.
    He is a good boy. But I know he is hiding the a trouble maker in there somewhere. Well maybe we will try him out this weekend. I will give a full update Monday.