Odd Behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Behavior

maggiesmomm is offline Senior Member

DefaultOdd Behavior

Maggie has an odd summer behavior. Does any other lab do this? She loves to catch small bugs - moths, spiders, etc., and catches them gently between her lips, without killing them, joyfully runs into the living room, carefully carrying the little, live, (probably traumatized) little bug. Her tail wagging furiously. She gently lays it down on the middle of the empty floor. And rolls on it. ??? Over and over. If it is still alive and trys to crawl away, she will gently pick it up, put it back in the middle of the floor and roll on it again. She loves this game. I find it very odd. Many dog behaviors can be explained by their breed type, i.e. herding, retrieving, but I don't get this behavior. Do other dogs do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Odd Behavior

I would love to see this...can you video tape her doing this?

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Yep- Caleb does that, too, only he doesn't always roll on them. Most times he plays this game where he plops them onto the floor, pushes at them with his nose, picks them back up and repeats. You should have seen his face when he killed one by accident. He looked like he was going to burst into tears!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Do you have a cat by chance...I know cats will do that. I would pay to see your dog do that!

And the bidding starts at.......

HAHA - my Mom and Dad's English Pointer does this!

His favorite summertime activity... dragonfly hunting. From the time he goes out of the house, until the time he is taken inside at night he is CONSTANTLY pointing dragonflies. I know he's a pointer... and he does point birds... but damn he loves a dragonfly!

Sometimes he will catch yellow flies or whatnot and rolls on them... or chews them like he's chewing gum! I really need to get some pictures.

Video? I still have to get a digital camera! I've got to get myself into the 21st century. Of course I might have the money if I didn't have 3 dogs

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Riley has been chasing moths and butterflies that visit my butterfly bushes, and she finally got one today. Had it in her mouth then wanted to play with it. So she very gently places it on the ground at her favorite spot, where she takes all of her favorite toys or sticks. The look on her face when it wouldn't play with her was priceless.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That really made me laugh!

Last summer, Simon came in from his evening walk with Kevin. I was on the computer. I turned around to see him coming in the room, and he was holding his mouth in that way they hold it when there is something in there that shouldn't be. I asked him what he had and he gleefully wagged his tail. "DROP IT!" I commanded. He did. Right beside my feet. It was...a cicada!!!! My long-time archnemesis! Cicadas are my Kryptonite. I busted a move out of my chair and sailed over Simon and the cicada, scaring everyone in the house to death with my screams.

I still think Kevin put him up to that... :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Ahhh...cicadas - crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Tal's never done anything like that (yet) but you definitely need to get a video of that! I bet it is hysterical!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast