Dog Booties
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Booties

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Booties

Has anyone ever used them? Most of my house has tile floors and since Buddy's 2nd leg surgery then the torn meniscus removal, it has been suggested that I look into them. I can't imagine he'd let anything stay on his feet.
    I have large runners and area rugs all over the house with those anti-slip pads beneath them. My house looks like I live in flea markets or worse, that I pick up pieces of different carpets wherever I can. The boots sound great but I doubt he'd wear them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Booties

Pam, you'd be surprised.
    Zoe gets her paw pads injured all the time at the beach. When this happens, she has socks and/or muttluks on her paw(s).

It will take a while for Buddy to get used to walking in them, but with time, it'll be like second nature.

Now, when Zoe sees her socks or muttluks, she'll lift her paw. Cute.

Can't help you on the booties. Muttlucks are not really non-skid.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

I've never used them and would probably opt to do what you did with carpet runners and area rugs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pam, Henry wore them too each time after he broke his toe. I bought them more for waterproofness but for increased traction, they're good! We have many sizes of Muttluks!! LOL!

Henery also has a pair (two pair??) that he wears in the winter when there's a crust of ice on top of the snow. He has cut way too many pads going bare-paw'ed. He got used to wearing them fairly quickly... though each time they go on, he walks all flippy-floppy, like he's got flippers on, until he remembers that he knows how to walk in them.

Good luck with Buddy!

Pam

Thanks for the replies. After I posted here, I went to Google boots and saw the Muttluks. Whew! Some are quite expensive. Since I'm not sure how he will react to these, I found a very inexpensive pair on clearance at Foster & Smith and for $4.99 decided to try them.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...All&Nty=1&pc=1
    I don't know if this link will work but if anyone is interested, type BOOTS into their search box and it will bring up 4 different ones and they are all reduced.
    I was told these have a leather type sole so maybe they will help. If he wears them w/o a fuss, then I can look into a better pair.

Can't beat that price, Pam

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

How about trying a pair of baby booties first (the ones with the little rubber grippers on the bottoms)? You'll have to wrap them with some VetWrap to keep them on, but at least you'll know if Buddy will where something on his feet without spending a lot of money.

sloigo is offline Senior Member

When Mia was sick, her paws would literally get like little ice cubes. I would hold them under the covers to try to warm them. As soon as I found some fleece lined boots, I got them! She NORMALLY was terrible about anything out of the ordinary on her "person", BUT when her paws were cold, she would come to me for her boots & when they were finally warm, she came BACK, giving me her warmed up paws. I knew what she wanted with those eyes & the scratch of her foot, she wanted her foot held when it was cold! She NEVER bothered the boots but did walk funny lololol. She got used to them more over time & she seemed to really understand that they helped her & when she was warm, she was ready for them to come off. I still have her boots, they are nice, they go up high & have a nice tight velcro strap. Many didnt go up real high & hers, the sheep skin was in the WHOLE BOOT! She even learned to RUN in them, first on the drive then in the field. Here she was at first in them with that "Must I" look.

*Miss you my big girl* :'(

Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

Pam

The clerk on the Dr.F&S line told me to measure from the tip of his nails back to the heel of his foot. I thought I needed to measure side to side. I ordered the largest $4.99 pair they had and will hope they fit. I think his foot might be larger than the XL allows for. I was getting Frontline and some other stuff anyway so the $4.99 item didn't add much if anything to the shipping.
    Just for laughs, I put a pair of no slide slipper socks on him that I had from one of my recent surgical adventures. He didn't even try to stand up. He just looked at me with that 'You're kidding, right?' expression. LOL. I guess I'll keep the camera handy when his get here.
    BTW, we have a surgeon recheck today. I asked for one cause he's still not right.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Clancey ate his mukklucks : Yes, when they were on his feet. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast