Question about Paw licking

Thread: Question about Paw licking

DefaultQuestion about Paw licking

Hey guys....

Our 1 and 1/2 year old chocolate Lab, Zakk has been licking his paw for weeks now. Everytime he lays down he goes to licking the inside of his paw... like between the pads.

When he stands in 1 place he picks that paw up and stands on the right front foot. But..... he jumps and runs fine - without limping or anything.

Have any of you guys ever had this happen? We put some doggy hydrocortizone spray on the paw tonight. I tried to spray it between the pads.

Zakk HATES for you to touch his front paws... he freaks out! So we had to hold him down to look ... and I really didn't see anything -except the top of one of his pads was red... hell, they could always be red for all I know.

I thought something could be in between the pads or something, but I honestly don't see anything but brown hair and ... pads.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sloigo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about Paw licking

If you don't see anything in her foot/pad & she's not limping, she could have a itchy foot from a allergy. My girls get itchy feet/sneezing/one cane get a red ear...... this time of year from all the pollen, just like people. They get Benadryl with their meals per the vet, he said he could give me a RX but the over the counter was ok unless they got worse. You can always check with your vet if you think its a problem.
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

Allergy was my first thought too. I thought I read somewhere that dogs express their allergies more through licking paws, and not as much with the symptoms we humans have.

And let me tell you, it is definitely allergy season!! I sneezed four times while typing this. :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Is it only one paw, or all paws getting equal lick time?

Zoe will usually lick if she has an irritation, like an ingrown hair or an irritation. Once she had an interdigital cyst which needed to be lanced.

Good luck. Oh, and treats galore when training on paw checking! Very important for your lab to let you check. : )
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Yeah, it's just 1 paw. I don't "see" anything when I look in there, but there is so much hair and he's not very cooperative.... maybe I'll try to look again tomorrow.

Glad I read this...Dakota has been doing this constantly lately too. Never even thought about the fact that he used to suffer from seasonal allergies when he was a pup.

I would think allergy automatically also except the dog is only doing it to 1 paw. That makes me think something is up with that paw...thorn or glass maybe? a splinter.

If it was all 4 paws or even the 2 front ones, I would say allergies for sure. Let us know.

Man.... we just managed to hold Zakk down for about 5 minutes! Talk about a hell of a ride.... My husband held him, while I examined the paw... there is something that looks maybe like an ingrown hair? It was a bump.... little... but a raised spot that looked maybe like some dried blood? About time I'd get his paw where I could see and the hair around the pads moved to see it - he'd jerk and I'd have to start all over. I picked at it a little, but with no success. I sprayed more spray on it and we put him up for tonight - if he's still doing it tomorrow I'm going to have another look. Stephen doesn't like to hold him down like that b/c he says he can't breathe...

But we'll see tomorrow.