Need some opinions quickly

Thread: Need some opinions quickly

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed some opinions quickly

Hi guys Harlee will be 14 weeks on Saturday and I just started back to work today since I got her at 7 weeks. Which means more crate time for her unfortunatly. My question is about feeding, normally she was getting 3/4 of a cup three times a day. Well today as I said she was crated and when i came home at noon to finish her lunch she wouldnt go poop. I felt terrible putting her back in there, luckily I called mom to come and let her out and she still didnt go. I was wondering if it was OK to increase her food and just feed her in the morning and at supper? If so how much? She is 18 lbs.

Edited....

OMG i just checked the bag thinking it might say something on there and it says ...3 2/3 a day! Now I feel like I am starving her!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need some opinions quickly

I also work and can only split up puppy meals 2 times a day... when my dogs were pups they would get their alloted amount of food split in half. Never had an issue here with it.

Same here. When we first got the dogs, they would get 3 meals/day, but it wasn't long before it was just impossible to come home at lunch. They got 2 meals very young around 11-12 weeks and did just fine.
    Pat

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Hey, don't feel too bad about what the bag says. They always estimate on the high end. If she's not losing weight the amount should be fine.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Well if nobody objects I think I will increase a little more and start 2 meals a day. Thanks for the replies everyone, so glad I found this forum.

Many breeders say that a pup should be fed 3 smaller meals a day until 6 months of age so their stomachs don't get stretched causing problems such as obstructions. Someone posted this same question on a breeder's forum and this was the general opinion that most offered.
    That being said, you have to do what works for you. My Emma voluntarily began skipping her noon meal at 4-5 months of age.

My 9 week old gets about 3 cups a day...1 C AM, 3/4 noon, 1 C PM

Well thank you for your post, maybe I will try her one more day and see if she is able to go to the "potty" before I have to go back to work. It was a terrible feeling knowing that she didnt go and having to go back to work knowing that she was crated.