Dock Diving ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dock Diving ??

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

DefaultDock Diving ??

I'd love to get Dozer involved with Dock Diving. We need to work on obedience and retrieving right now, but I'm wondering what is the best age to start a dog with Dock Diving?
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

You can't get on the dock with him until he's 6 months, that's in the rules.

After that I'd try it out (provided he's been swimming, knows how to swim, etc). It's not a lot of impact so I'd think it would be safe for still-growing pups, there was a few young 'uns there this weekend.

Here's the website for the Ontario: http://www.ontariodockdogs.com/
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I was browsing around Ontario Dock Dogs a little bit earlier tonight. Six months is a good rule.

Thanks.
    ~Samantha

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

While actually jumping off the dock has to wait until 6 months, anything you do with your dog in the area of obedience, retrieving, playing with toys together....any of that is good work and preparation for dock diving.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

While actually jumping off the dock has to wait until 6 months, anything you do with your dog in the area of obedience, retrieving, playing with toys together....any of that is good work and preparation for dock diving.
    I agree that basic obedience and socialization are very important to participating in any competition. I have seen several really out of control dogs at our events and it's really aggravating and in a way disrespectful of other participants to not control your dog. One in particular has no concept of recall and refuses to return to the dock. I think the handler thinks it's cute. This dog also weighs almost as much as she does and he pulls her all over the place. Just waiting for the day he will pull her into the tank.

Remember that this is a fun event no matter how your dog jumps, or doesn't jump. At our competition last weekend a lady and her daughter brought their young Springer pup that had never jumped before. I watched during practice as this pup initially refused to jump but with encouragement and help from the dockDogs crew the pup finally made the leap. During the competition the pup posted a jump of 9' 5". After the wave the lady was about to leave when I told her to check the standings. Sure enough her pup had won first place in the Novice division. She and her daughter were absolutely thrilled to get that ribbon.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

As soon as Dozer is fully vaccinated he'll be socialized TONS. Right now we are limited to the weekly puppy social classes (everyone has to prove updated vaccines) but we have only been able to make it once so far. He will be starting obedience classes in Aug., but we are already doing obedience at home. I am one of those people who is irritated by people who cannot control their dogs.

How do I get him to retireve? He does not want to bring the toy/ball/whatever back to me. He runs to get it, and then starts to come to me and then runs away. Without a toy he comes when he is called 95% of the time ...
    ~Samantha

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Retrieving is sometimes a bit of a work in progress for a bit. I would have him on a leash and do a few short retrieves, reeling him in when he gets the toy.

When he gets to you, take it from him and throw it again immediately, so that getting to chase it again is the reward for bringing it back, because it sounds like he likes to chase.

Just do a few (maybe 2 or 3) at a time for now, soon enough he'll figure out that if he brings it back to you the game goes on and he gets to chase the toy again.

The WORST thing you can do is chase him with the toy, or even really give him any attention when he's running around with it. If he doesn't bring it back the game ends, otherwise this will become a whole other game for him, and a rewarding (for him) and frustrating (for you) experience.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Definitely chasing him with a toy in his mouth would be a game for him, so I don't do that when we are trying to get him to retrieve. If he doesn't come back, game over. The only time I chase him is when I absolutely have to (like yesterday when he took off with Barbie's head in his mouth) ... he loved it.
    ~Samantha

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    I agree that basic obedience and socialization are very important to participating in any competition. I have seen several really out of control dogs at our events and it's really aggravating and in a way disrespectful of other participants to not control your dog. One in particular has no concept of recall and refuses to return to the dock. I think the handler thinks it's cute. This dog also weighs almost as much as she does and he pulls her all over the place. Just waiting for the day he will pull her into the tank.
    I have one of those out of control dogs It isn't from lack of trying though. My biggest fear at an event is that we are aggravating others, but I don't want to give up trying. We work on recall at home, obedience on our walks, obedience at the vet office, etc. She walks loosely on our leash walks, stops when I ask, pretty much a model dog at home. However, when we get to an event Piper becomes super excited. I'm at a loss how to get her to focus at the event. She pulls, tries to lunge to get to the dock and barks pretty much non-stop when she is in line waiting her turn. I keep her away from other competitors, she is not aggressive, yet she is a handful. I come away from the day physically exhausted. She is also one that likes to victory swim. She'd much rather swim laps than get back out of the pool. We're working on that. I just had to comment because not all out of control dogs are from lack of owners trying(although some times it is the case) I keep hoping with enough events under our belt we can get her to focus better in the stimulating environment and not annoy too many people along the way

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    The WORST thing you can do is chase him with the toy, or even really give him any attention when he's running around with it. If he doesn't bring it back the game ends, otherwise this will become a whole other game for him, and a rewarding (for him) and frustrating (for you) experience.
    I agree 100%. The kids used to chase Piper with the toy. Piper would much rather tease you than bring it back. So I have been having to re-train her idea of what fetch/retrieve are. We have been working with her on her retrieve skills with a long line. Short throws to start with, excitement and jumping around when she returns with it. We are working on longer throws. We only do short sessions and I try to stop on a good note. letting her carry the toy back into the garage and letting her put it away seems to help.

I thought all labs were born retrievers. Piper is NOT. It is a learned exercise for her. This is one of the reasons it is more difficult for her to want to get out of the pool after jumping. Swimming is her #1 favorite thing in the world, I think it even trumps food. She'd much rather swim than bring the toy back. She'll usually bring the toy close to the ramp, drop in the water and push off back to swim more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast