A food question for breeders/vets/other knowledgeable Lab caretakers
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A food question for breeders/vets/other knowledgeable Lab caretakers

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultA food question for breeders/vets/other knowledgeable Lab caretakers

A question for breeders, vets, or anyone else that is knowledgeable on food for our Labs.

Background: I have been feeding Hershey Kisses Eukanuba LBP food believing that this was a good higher quality feed for her. Today, I found this post
    --------------------
    Re: Not chewing food
    « Reply #3 on: Today at 10:34:27 AM » Quote

IMO, Eukenuba is not a good food. Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com for some ideas for good food, remembering that grain free foods with high protein are not good for puppies. She may be eating the dry dog food too fast. Try putting it on a cookie sheet to slow her down.
    ----------------------
    And checked out the referenced web site. So now I am questioning the choice I have made.

Here is the request. How about letting us know what you would feed your Labs as Puppies, Adults, and Seniors. At what age you would transition from LBP to Adult Maintenance.

I am not about to cook, or feed raw unless she got ill and the vet told me to in order to regain her health. I am not showing Hershey Kisses, so I am not seeking the best possible coat appearance in the world. Her activity level can probably be described as average for a family pet. She does get to a dog park at least twice a week, daily walks some of which is off leash to give her a chance to run, and a session of retrieve/keep away/soccer daily for a total of 15-30 minutes.

I can afford to buy her good food and don’t like the idea that I am not feeding her a good product. All information is welcome.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A food question for breeders/vets/other knowledgeable Lab caretakers

Well, as I'm sure a lot of others are about to tell you, the best food for your dog is what your dog does well on.

That said, Euk and IAMS are some of the better brands you can buy at the grocery. But they're not necessarily the best brands out there. I'll let someone with a lot more knowledge about nutrition explain it, because they will certainly do a better job than me.

I am currently feeding Timberwolf Organics and Fromms Salmon and Veg. We did a long stint with Canidae, and that's another pretty good one. A lot of people also feed Diamond, which is not as expensive but still good quality.

Labby has a great article you should read about nutrition and dog food labels...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Thanks! Headed for Labby's site now
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Our Breeder was doing Barf and Diamond foods. I like you didn't want to provide a diet of raw meats. We found the Timberwolf food when there was the scare with the Petfoods. Not sure how we stumbled upon it, but he is now on Timberwolf food, made right in the USA. In the past, my other dog always at Iams in the Green bag. I had worked for a vet for many years, and that is what we always fed. Our Breeder said to us, once a food hits the store shelfs, it is time to move on to another food. Iams never hurt my other dog. He lived a healthy 9yrs, my cat was on it, and lived a healthy 11 yrs, and my dog before Garrett lived on Iams for 18 1/2 yrs. So if your happy with that food, I would say stick with it.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Ah, the food conundrum. Other than the War in Iraq, I don't know if there's a more polarizing topic in all of JL-ville.

I'll cut to the chase: Talk to your vet and YOU decide what's best for your dog. It comes down to that.

I didn't talk food on the board for a long time because I was a little embarassed at what Wesley eats. He came home from the breeder's on Purina, and he's STILL on Purina. Every single attempt of mine -- bar none -- to transition him over to something more "quality" (note quotes) resulted in the runs for him. Over and over and over again. Finally, I threw in the towel and decided he would be a Purina dog, through-and-through.

It's not even Purina One. It's this, mixed with a little canned food and a little water:

And I've got to say, so far, so good!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Caleb's breeder feeds Euk also. Me, I prefer Pro Plan, but I waited until I started switching him to adult food at 6 months to make the change.

edited to correct typos

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Dweck: Nothing to be ashamed of by using Purina foods! It is all about what works best for you, and you have one beautiful dog to prove that. Now if I could be assured Pitch will look as beautiful, I am gonna start sneaking in some Purina into his food.

Thanks guys! will continue to read anything that is offerred. I checked Labby's website and I predict that she won't be telling us what she feeds. If she does, she will have to update her website. She does have a lot of information there, on many, many subjects.

I guess I will work toward a decision on adult food when the current 40 lbs is consumed. Hershey will be 7 months next week. I guess that is the other part of the question, how old when they move from puppy to adult food.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Thanks guys! will continue to read anything that is offerred. I checked Labby's website and I predict that she won't be telling us what she feeds...
    She might.

kym
    kym is offline Senior Member

This really is a very personal decision to make. You can ask and ask, but it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. I certainly don't agree with what everyone here feeds their dog, but I am not going to judge based on those decisions, to their face anyway :P I feed raw and have had fantastic success with it. For me and my dog it is the best way to go. She used to get chronic ear infections last summer with all the swimming she does. She has not had one since the switch to raw. She doesn't have flaky skin anymore, she looks and feels great. But again, this works for us. If you are opposed to raw, just feed your dog the best quality food your dog can do well on and you can afford.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast