Switching to adult food,what age?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to adult food,what age?

JackieN is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwitching to adult food,what age?

Dani asked me why I was still feeding Dakota, 7 1/2 months old, puppy food. I tried to find out when I should switch him. Any suggestions..should I switch him now..or wait till he's older? He's on Innova Puppy and will be getting Innova Evo when I switch him. I'd love to hear when you all switched your pups over.
    Jackie
    <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Switching to adult food,what age?

According to my vet, when they stop growing skeleton. Should be in the 8-9 month range. They seem to feel a couple months late is better than a month too soon.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Jackie, I wouldn't recommend feeding EVO until after he's 2. If you plan on keeping him on puppy until then...it's your call. I personally don't...and especially Bob PR, will argue to keep a dog on it until they are older...I see more benefits to switching to adult food sooner. There are some breeders who don't even feed their litters puppy food. They feed them adult or maintenence from the get go and they stay on their lives.

Rookie is in the middle of switching from Innova LBP to Adult at 5.5 months old. He's also growing at a phenominal pace and we're having some limping issues as a result...so I need to cut back to help alleviate that strain as much as possible. He's 60 lbs already.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok Dani..I'll switch him around 9 months of age...and put him on the regular Innova, then switch him to EVO when he's 2. He'll be 8 months on the 30th of this month..so another 6 weeks or so..then I'll switch him. Do you think that's ok? I want to do the right thing for him!!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Jackie, I wouldn't recommend feeding EVO until after he's 2. If you plan on keeping him on puppy until then...it's your call. I personally don't...and especially Bob PR, will argue to keep a dog on it until they are older...I see more benefits to switching to adult food sooner. There are some breeders who don't even feed their litters puppy food. They feed them adult or maintenence from the get go and they stay on their lives.

Rookie is in the middle of switching from Innova LBP to Adult at 5.5 months old. He's also growing at a phenominal pace and we're having some limping issues as a result...so I need to cut back to help alleviate that strain as much as possible. He's 60 lbs already.

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

everyone will have a different opinion, including vets...but Innova recommends EVO after 2 years. As for other adult food, I switched after my dog had not really grown for about 4-5 months. Turned out to be when he was 14 months old - the switch was made. Again, that was my dog.

He is now 16 months old and still weighs the same, which is about 6 lbs more than he was at 10 months. He weighs about 63-65 lbs.

Ok..thanks for replying..I'm going to wait till he's about 9 months old (give or take a few weeks)..then switch to regular Innova, then at 2 years of age..to the EVO.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    According to my vet, when they stop growing skeleton. Should be in the 8-9 month range. They seem to feel a couple months late is better than a month too soon.

Ok..well..I'll judge it then..by his growth. We weighed him at the vets yesterday and he is just shy of 60 lbs, 59.7 lbs, at 7 1/2 months of age. Years ago..we were told to switch our dogs at 6 months..now I'll wait a bit more. Thanks for replying. Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    everyone will have a different opinion, including vets...but Innova recommends EVO after 2 years. As for other adult food, I switched after my dog had not really grown for about 4-5 months. Turned out to be when he was 14 months old - the switch was made. Again, that was my dog.

He is now 16 months old and still weighs the same, which is about 6 lbs more than he was at 10 months. He weighs about 63-65 lbs.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

From my limited experience with my 3 dogs, the dog I switched off puppy food the earliest (4month) was the only dog that didn't go through the terrible ganglies!!! Could be breeding etc, but from now on I won't even start with a puppy food but opt for a good All Stages food like what I am feeding now...Nature's Variety.

Well..Dakota looks pretty well proportioned at this point..so I guess I'm lucky. I do know some people with puppies don't use puppy food..I guess I'm from the old school, but I will change over soon.
    Thanks for replying... Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    From my limited experience with my 3 dogs, the dog I switched off puppy food the earliest (4month) was the only dog that didn't go through the terrible ganglies!!! Could be breeding etc, but from now on I won't even start with a puppy food but opt for a good All Stages food like what I am feeding now...Nature's Variety.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Did you get your pup from a breeder? If so, they would be the best to ask as they should know their lines. Personally, I've fed my last two pups one big bag of regular puppy food and then switched them to regular adult food and I've been happy with the results. I do agree that you'd want to wait a little longer if you're going with Evo. Good luck with that cute chocolate
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast