Questions! Weight and Teeth

Thread: Questions! Weight and Teeth

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions! Weight and Teeth

I have tried to research this without any success, and tried asking our bet and get no help of any kind. So non-committal that she won't even give me a range.

Weight, assuming average, at 6 months, what percentage of the dogs adult weight should I expect to have. i.e. At 6 months and one week, Hershey Kisses is 53 lbs. We anticiapted her adult weight to be btween 60-65 based on her mother. How close to that does anyone think we will be. I am beginning to think she will end up larger. She is definitely not overweight.

Teeth: HK only had two of her upper 6 incisors. Wet told us it was unlikely that any more would be coming in. That was a month ago. Thursday another one showed up. So there are 3 to go, maybe? What is typical for the adlt uppers incisors to be coming in?> What is late but still not uncommon?

Ed
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions! Weight and Teeth

It's real hard to give an estimate on the adult weight. That will depend upon how the lines behind your girl mature. As for the incisors, they are usually totally erupted by about 5 months of age. Hopefully, Miss Kisses will defy those rules.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I suspect because in the USA there are the two different breed lines of Labs (bench & field) plus all the mixtures in between from BYBs, puppy mills, etc., and -- with Labs being by far the most popular breed -- that the growth & development rates of individual Labs are widely variable.

"Seeing Eye" published in JAVMA a long term study on their bench line Lab's rate of growth and it was quite different than my Puff's.

I regularly weighed Puff throughout her first year and recorded her weight. Her rate of weight gain/age was VERY similar to that of a friend's BYB (largely field) Lab of the same age but twice her size.

Puff's weight gain followed the NW quadrant silhouette of a football whose ends are pointed E-W.

At 175 days age, my Puff weighed 40 lbs.; at 275 days she weighed 53 lbs.

Her male BYB friend, born the same day in another litter, always weighed twice Puff's weight.

IF your Hershey Kisses follows Puff's rate of development, she'll weigh about 80.76 lbs. at 18 months age.

BUT the Labs in the "Seeing Eye" study didn't gain weight as fast as Puff did for their first 5(?) months but then accelerated and gained weight faster than Puff after that before leveling off.

I've seen one other growth/development curve for Labs in which the opposite has happened.

What will be true for your Lab?

Heaven knows but the 80.76 lbs is my best guess.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks to ruff n tumble crew, and bob pr. Maybe the information that Bob gave explains my vets refusal to give me any answers relative to weight.

I guess I can't fault the vet too much on her assessment of the teeth, and Hershey certainly seems to care less. We have just had a resurgence in the chewing phenomena, and a tooth shows up. I guess anticipation of more of her teeth coming in had me anxious. Good anxious, not bad because of the chewing.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I agree with ruffntumble crew... it really depends on HK's ancestry.

However, I will tell you that at 6 months, Henry was the heaviest he has ever been (68lbs) and now, his adult weight hovers around 65lbs.