Q re: Lab hair on car dashes -- Honda's plastics? Armorall wipes? Other?

View Poll Results: Factors increasing Lab hair on car dashes

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Those with a Honda/Acura & Lab also experiencing this

2 28.57%
  • Those with a brand other than Honda/Acura car & Lab also experiencing this

2 28.57%
  • Those using Armorall (or similar car interior cleaning wipes) & NON-Honda/Acura also experiencing this

3 42.86%
  • Those using Armorall (or similar car interior cleaning wipes) WHO IS NOT experiencing this?

0 0%
  • Other (post explanation)

0 0%

Thread: Q re: Lab hair on car dashes -- Honda's plastics? Armorall wipes? Other?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultQ re: Lab hair on car dashes -- Honda's plastics? Armorall wipes? Other?

The dashboard and faceplate of the radio in my 2000 Honda seems to be a magnet for Lab hair. A friend with a Lab and Chevy truck doesn't have this.

Do the plastics used in Hondas magnetically attract Lab hair?

Or is it the Armor-all or Turtle brand cleaning wipes I've used on the dash that does it?

There are 2 main types of lab hair:

One is stiff and bigger in diameter, often a couple inches (5 cm.) long or more, and fairly straight or with a slight curve. These are the outer guard hairs.

The other is very fine and typically have several krinkles in their midsections so they may look somewhat like this: ----/\/\/\/\---- or -----/\-----
    They're typically half the length of the larger guard hairs and come from the undercoat.

It's almost entirely this second variety -- the ultra fine hairs usually with krinkles -- that's having a population explosion on my dashboard.

For those of you with Labs and furry dashboards, do you have any suggestions on effective ways to reduce the attraction of dashboards to Lab fur?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Q re: Lab hair on car dashes -- Honda's plastics? Armorall wipes? Other?

Don't know...but I had the same trouble with this in my former Oldsmobile and now with my new Nissan. It was definitely worse in the Oldsmobile...the plastic was very smooth. In the Nissan, the dash is more of a dimpled surface, and I don't think the hair clings to it as much.

I have, however, use Armor-all on both.

deezeldog Guest

DefaultRe: Q re: Lab hair on car dashes -- Honda's plastics? Armorall wipes? Other?

I just hafta laugh at your clinical description of the quality of the hair. hehehe

It's the armorall in my experience. I never use it on my dashboard anymore. It is sticky enough that dust and hair stays in it. And - it makes a rather distracting reflection on my windshield.

Using a cleaner that removes any grease residue would probably make the surface more slippery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pj

i think the armorall exacerbates the problem and like deezeldog stated, makes everything (dust, hair, lint) actually stick to the dash.

we've only had acuras/hondas in our family, and each car including my current '04 accord collects lab hair on the dash and radio plastic, but it's much better now that i've stopped using armorall.

Skubaa Guest

My first thought was static guard! LOL!

DG

BigYellowBoy Guest

I believe it's the Armorall. I have both Chevy HD and a Honda and we have used the Armorall. Lab hair sticks to it. The more you use the more hair-fuzz gets stuck. Try semi damp cloth instead.
    Sue

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I drive a Chevy as does my mom...no labhairs stuck on dashboards here. Mom had Amorall on her dash once and the hair stuck around. I just wiped it with a damp microfiber cloth and it helped a lot.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For those who've replied -- Bless you!! Thank you!!

From early results so far, it strongly suggests it's the cleaning wipe I've been using -- Armorall.

While I did buy a similar product from Turtle Wax and used it, there was no apparent difference in the number of Lab hairs deposited so they may have similar chemicals (which produce similar results) in their formulation.

I'll go out tomorrow morning and scrub the areas with Dawn dishwashing soap and see if that helps.

Those areas (and the shifting console between the front seats) have attracted literally thousands of the fine undercoat Lab hairs and it's almost seemed (and maybe quite truly) that the more I've cleaned them off, the more rapidly they've multiplied.

Now if Armorall/Turtle Wax would only use those chemicals to form an in-house bar magnet to collect those hairs, wouldn't that be a really useful thing? ;D ;D
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

patm is offline Senior Member

I have a Saturn LW2 wagon and it collects some dog hair, but it doesn't sound like it's as bad as yours. I use ARmorAll wipes too. If I'm just carrying Emilu its not as bad because she is more still in the car. Skippy is all over the back seat and the back section, so more hair flies around.