Crate question

Thread: Crate question

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate question

Rocky loves his crate (I mean he REALLY loves crates!) and when I travel I want a crate with us. The one I have is a large metal one that fold well but...it is becoming hard for me to transport (I dont' own a car but rent quite often)

Any recommendations on alternatives to the regular metal crates that would fit better in smaller vehicles? Even if I were to buy an SUV it would be hard to transport (I had a ford escape the other day and thought it would fit it would be hard to have rocky stand/lay on top of it). I have started to look at soft crates and am looking for something that will fold well (and into a smaller sections than the metal one).

Rocky does not appear to push on the doors as well so I THINK he'd do well in material crates.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Crate question

Tanya, I LOVE the Noz2Noz soft crates! Ours is the earlier version to this one: http://www.firstrax.net/product.php?b=1&id=35

I have both the 42" one (this one is Henry's home crate) and the 36" one (this is the one we use when we travel to see friends, or to shows). They're awesome! I've had both since Henry was about 1 (so, 3 years? ish) with no problems except when Henry tore a hole in the mesh. I was worried I'd have to buy a whole new crate, but with the one we had, you can order just the fabric part! The customer service people were excellent as well.

Also, since the fabric can unattach from the frame, you can put it in your washing machine! I usually put it back on the frame to dry.

VERY durable, and very easy to set up and break down. They're a little heavier than some of the portable fabric crates out there, but I like that Henry can't roll them. Well worth every penny I spent on it!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how well does it back in a car? Do you have a big suV? could your dog lay down on top of it safely?

sounds like a great crate though
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya, it folds down pretty small!! I have a Subaru Impreza wagon (the smallest of the Subarus) and it fits flat in the cargo area with tons of room to spare. Henry usually rides in the backseat with his seatbelt, though if I had to put him in the cargo area, I could... I would probably put a pad or something on top of the crate (it's kinda lumpy to lay on)...

patm is offline Senior Member

I have this crate

http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/Pro...inecampers.asp

Not sure what size - not the biggest one, but pretty close (my dogs are big) I love it. It's sturdy, and sets up and takes down very easily - all one intact piece. I think it's a little heavier than some others, but I don't have any trouble carrying it (has a carrying case that coms with it). When I started taking Skippy to class, I wanted to take my large metal crate to put him in. It wouldn't fit in my station wagon set up, so I foled it, placed a thick dog bed on top and he had to sit on it in the car - didn't seem very comfortable as both dogs squeezed themselves into the areas around it for the ride. I used the soft crate the next time and they sould ride on it much better. However, my crate isn't large enough for Skippy and he managed to roll it a couple times. He's much more fussy in the crate and leaned against it and it fell over (didn't hurt him at all) Emilu has no trouble with it whatsoever and we've used it a lot for shows and going to my parents. If I ever get another crate for another dog, I might look into other ones, just for the weight (and those washable sides sound pretty nice )