CGC test question

Thread: CGC test question

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

DefaultCGC test question

Finn is taking level 2 obedience classes and at the end of 8 weeks of class they test the dogs for their CGC. I am worried that Finn won't pass because he is till too young with way too much puppy in him. When we test he will be about 8 1/2 months old. We are working with him almost every day but I still have concerns.

If your dog has passed, how old were they? Do you have any advice on getting him ready? I think I am most concerned with reaction to other dogs, supervised separation, and sitting politely for petting (he doesn't jump but he turns his body, kisses like crazy and paws at you).

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: CGC test question

Wesley was 13 months old.

All I remember is that our obed trainer said to make sure that the greet-w/a-dog was as fast as I could absolutely make it.

So as the evaluator came toward us with her dog, I stuck out my hand and blurted: "Hiyahowyadoing. NicedaySureis! GooddayforwalkingthedogThisisWesleyHe'saLab. Wellgottago.Bye!" And we trotted off.

Same with pass-thru a crowd. We didn't run, but we came close....

Good luck and relax. You can always retake if necessary!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe was 8 months.

We practiced nearly every day. We were fortunate to have her friend Tasha come over to practice w/her.

Good luck!! Yes, relax... (easier said than done)
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Angus was about a year and a half. Simon was one year. They passed on the same night

It was Angus' second attempt and Simon's first.

The things you mentioned, Greeting another dog and sitting politely for petting, were two of Angus' downfalls the first time. The other was walking on a loose leash.

My advice: Practice, practice practice, especially with different dogs (on the greeting) and in different environments, if possible.

Will your test be administered where you take the class? That helps a great deal, if they're already familiar with the environment.

The other thing we did was make sure that Angus was just pooped before we went in to take the test. Kevin took him on a looong walk, then to the lake. Not that it did any good - he still crashed and burned that first time. I think he was just too "puppyish." I believe he was about a year the first time we tried.

So, give it your best shot, but do not worry or feel bad if you all don't pass. It's not an easy test, ESPECIALLY for a wiggle-butted Lab! You can take the test as many times as you want.

Remember, you can do whatever you need to do during the test to keep his attention focused on you. Clap, talk, praise, etc.

Try to keep him engaged and busy right up until you go in the ring. For example, don't go to the ring gate and just stand with him. I have learned this the hard way, trust me. Spend your time working with him and going through exercises beforehand, and don't go to the ring gate until called.

Good luck!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice

Yes the test will be at the same place we do class so that will help. Finn has been around plenty of dogs but he still thinks every one of them should play with him Every week in class we work on getting ready for the test so that also helps.

I will also keep in mind getting him pooped out. My only concern is how lazy he already is in class. If every other dog is sitting nicely next to their owner, Finn is laying down. Constant struggle but we are getting better. I think he gets bored He can do a sit/stay for 1 min and then he goes into a down and right onto his back legs straight up in the air.

We will keep working really hard on this and fingers and paw crossed that when the time comes he will be ready, if not we will just try again like you all said.

Can you use treats during the test?

Nellie was about 3 when she passed the CGC. She had been through advanced obedience about 6-12 months earlier. We did not practice beforehand and she passed with flying colors. I wasn't really worried figuring we could take the test again if need be.

Scout was about a year
    Darwin was 6 or 7 months
    Piper was 5 months
    Puzzle was 9 or 10 months
    Bono was 4.5 months

They all passed on the first try

You're not allowed treats, but you can use your voice! Talk to them, encourage and praise like crazy during the test. Use the prep class to work on everything you'll do during the test and you'll be good to go in eight weeks!!

patm is offline Senior Member

From what I've seen, a lot of it depends on who is doing the judging. I observed some of the test given at my training club and just about ANY dog could have passed - they really weren't observing the rules of the test :-\ Emilu took hers when she was 2.5 years old after about 6 months of obedience training. I was really worried about the one I like to think of as "ignoring another dog". We had to do it over twice. I always felt guilty that we did that and still got our certificate, and then found out that it can be done over at the evaluators discretion. I was also concerned about the "greeting a person" thing. Emilu LIKES people! The thing to remember is to pay more attention to your dog than the person - this can be a very quick greeting and you don't even have to look at the person if you don't want to! Remember to keep talking to you dog and giving it commands. I kept thinking that the dog needed to stand politely while I greeted the person - but you can tell it to sit and stay if you want to and then give your greeting, etc.Good luck - if you don't pass don't feel too bad - you can always take it again, your dog is young - you guys have lots of time ahead of you to train it

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly was 2 1/2 & she passed the first time. My advice...make sure they potty before going in for the test.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

First off - try not to stress too much (your pup will feel the tension)!

If the worse your dog does is LAY DOWN too much you are off to a good start! Rocky is the same way. We passed the therapy dog test and I had to get him UP into a sit as it was hot and he was just laying flat on the ground

The fact you are doing it with the same dogs and the same place will help a great deal. My worry with Rocky was that he would HAVE to sniff around beforehand (it was our first time there and our first time meeting the other dogs!).

Worse case - you fail. you can just take it again And there is absolutely NO shame in that!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky