Simon has a show next weekend!

Thread: Simon has a show next weekend!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon has a show next weekend!

Mr. Simon will make his Rally Advanced (off-leash ) debut next week. It will also be the christening voyage of the new dogmobile (pictures coming this weekend).

;D

I hope he does well. I think he will.

I hope I don't eat my words next weekend, but...He is such a JOY to work with. Simon is the kind of dog who is so eager to please, so compliant and agreeable, that he fools you into thinking you're a fantastic dog trainer. :P I know I'm not, 'cause look at Angus. But Crash was that type of dog too...so sweet and adoring. Whatever it takes to make you happy.

When I first started training with Simon, I thought he seemed a bit slower than Angus. Slower to pick up new things. Angus learns with lightning speed. But, alas, Angus has no finesse. He has the grace of a donkey on crack. Simon, once something is learned, will perform it to the same degree of precision each and every time.

Just for fun, this week we have been goofing around with the Drop on Recall. Simon naturally has the most perfect fold-back down - the ideal for this exercise, as they are supposed to stop forward motion and drop to the ground. Simon's down has always been this way - it's not something I taught him. But I can certainly enjoy it and take advantage of a good thing!

Anyway, I was just amazed at how easily this came to Simon. I throw my hand up and he does this perfect little fold-back down. Ohhhh, treat treat treat love love love! The only problem was, I couldn't figure out a way to help him understand that he shouldn't come ALL the way to me for this, but drop where he was.

So, I used a trick our trainer suggested. I got a large umbrella (closed) and laid it on the ground between us. I gave him the Recall signal, he started to come a bit tentatively in light of this strange obstacle, I threw up my hand, and he dropped right behind the umbrella!

;D

He just tickles me to death, that Simon.

I've tried the umbrella method with Angus, too. He didn't really seem to care so much about the umbrella. He dropped on top of it, ran over it, etc. :P So I was just very surprised that this trick could actually WORK.

Anywho. Wish us luck next weekend! Full reports to follow.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Simon has a show next weekend!

Good luck on your advanced. Sounds like a lot of fun.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Best of luck to you and Simon. I'll be anxiously awaiting the weekend report.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Good luck, and have someone take pictures! I love the way you describe your two. LOL @ "donkey on crack." I have to try the umbrella trick, but I fear that Theo's reaction would be the same as Angus's.

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

good luck and I'm sure Simon will be perfect.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Good luck !! We will be rooting for ya !!

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Donkey on crack!! Connie!!!!

Good luck next weekend!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm still too chicken to try Henery in Advanced... the whole food bowl figure8 thing. Oh boy.

I'll have to try the umbrella thing too with DOR... right now Henery comes all the way in before dropping. :

Good luck Connie and Simon!!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good Luck Connie and SImon