Curley Tail !!

Thread: Curley Tail !!

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultCurley Tail !!

I see a lot of Lab pictures with the tail nice and straight. However my lab has a curly tail! Her tail curls up in the air like a big U. Is this normal?

Does the straight tail have something to do with training/showing ect? Or is my lab just strange!

When she’s really excited it curls even more than these pictures show…

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boater526 is offline Member

DefaultRe: Curley Tail !!

What a pretty girl. Who cares if her tail curls? I don't know much about showing, but if a curl disqualifies her, just love her for what she is A BEAUTIFUL DOG

Quote Originally Posted by boater526
    What a pretty girl. Who cares if her tail curls? she is A BEAUTIFUL DOG

Willow says “I know” in response to your comment… ;D

Oh don’t get me wrong….she’s fine just the way she is just a curiosity I figured I would throw out there for the experts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

Boomer's does that too. His is never any curlier than what your pictures show...that's pretty much what his looks like always. I always wondered if he broke it when he was little or something...it's been that way for years.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Some labs just have curley tails. My Libby has a curley tail that I think may even be curlier than Willow's! LOL

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think in the show-ring, a curley tail is not a disqualification, but is considered a fault. They should have a straight, plump-looking tail that looks like an otter's tail. Having said that, many of the labs you'll see in the show-ring seem to have varying degrees of tail curl, and some champions with have a pretty curley tail, too. I have only been showing for just over a year, so this is just my observation. It all depends on how important that is to a judge, I suppose.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

My Max has a curled tail, but Otis' is straight (and quite thin, I might add!!!!)

Brenda from Connecticut

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Straight, thick, "otter like" tails are much more common among US bench line Labs (AKA "show" & "English").

Curly (or sickle shaped) tails are much more common among US field line labs (AKA "American") and BYB labs.

From the pictures, the Labs of fburke and MyLabsMom have significant "field line" heritages. Field line Labs are not as blocky and stocky as bench line Labs and are leaner, lankier, leggier, and with longer snouts. Also, typically not as heavily furred.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ShadowDancin is offline Senior Member

Sparrow has a curly tail too.. Breeds will curl a little sometimes... Max, his is curly as well.. By the way, what a BEAUTIFUL shiny black lab you have!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancin
    By the way, what a BEAUTIFUL shiny black lab you have!
    Thank you! i treat her like a child! sometimes my wife gets jellouse of all the attention i give her! ;D

claire26pink is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fburke
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancin
    By the way, what a BEAUTIFUL shiny black lab you have!
    Thank you! i treat her like a child! sometimes my wife gets jellouse of all the attention i give her! ;D
    she is beautiful, i don't care about the tail thing either...but find it very informative to learn about it, poppy's is thick and straight and she is stocky, i didn't know really anything about labs before i came on this site.....fab thread....thanks
    &lt;center&gt;<br />&lt;a href=&quot;http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x230/claire26pink/bandpops.jpg&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;<br />&lt;img src=&quot;http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x230/claire26pink/th_bandpops.jpg&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;<br />&lt;/center&gt;