Puppy Food Choice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food Choice

DefaultPuppy Food Choice

The breeder has her on Canidae, which sounds like a quality brand. www.Canidae.com Well I bought my first bag, it was 40# for 40 bucks. Seems pretty expensive, maybe not. I'm going to keep her on this for at least the first 6 months, but if I were to change, is there something that might be cheaper without losing quality. Or is this a pretty standard amound to pay. I figured that full grown it would come out to about 50 bucks a month.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Food Choice

I spent $55 for Rowan's food - Nutro Adult (now) ULTRA... but will be switching her soon to Orijen ( a Canadian Company ;D).

I thought this was real expensive in the beginning but Rowan has done well on it - starting off on LBP formula. I haven't had any 'issues' with her except her dry coat at times. But I truly believe you get what you pay for.

I don't have issues with her eating other poop or having tons of bm's herself - it is all good!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

This would be an excellent question for your Breeder. He/She will know what is best for the pup/dog and will often give you alternatives if you choose not/can't get the food they feed.

Food decisions should not be based on cost alone. It could possibly lead to problems down the road.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

please do not forget to see how much you need to feed per pound. some bags are super cheap but you feed twice as much as the more expensive bags

i agree with the above, choice of food is not made by price alone (though the more expensive brand does NOT mean it is the best, you have to research) and you should discuss this with your breeder
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

2 of my dogs are on Canidae. We've been happy with it. However, I'm curious as to where you live, because I can get a 40 lb. bag for $28.99 at a local feed store.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I too buy from a feed store. MUCH cheaper!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Canidae is a great food choice. I would try shopping around for a cheaper supplier before you consider switching.

I figured that full grown it would come out to about 50 bucks a month.
    A 40lb bag should last an adult dog longer than 4 weeks. Try 6-8 weeks, depending on how much you feed.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Canidae is a great food choice. I would try shopping around for a cheaper supplier before you consider switching.

I figured that full grown it would come out to about 50 bucks a month.
    A 40lb bag should last an adult dog longer than 4 weeks. Try 6-8 weeks, depending on how much you feed.
    We've fed Canidae to Bella for 5+ years and she's done great on it. We pay about $32 / 40# bag at the feed store. I'm not sure exactly how long it lasts but I'm pretty sure it's more than 2 months. Bella is around 65 pounds and she gets 2 cups / day.

Bella

Definately try the feed and seeds and here in AZ they are all over. I ge Cinnamon's food $45 for a 25 pound bag of Natures Variety Instinct there. It is over 60 at the speciality pet stores. Now she only eats 2 cups a day (no fillers) and plus a raw frozen patty.

The feed and seeds and much cheaper. And check several in your area some are much cheaper than others.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would definately check where you can get the food over changing it. If the dog is doing well on it, best not to mess with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast