Help me now, diarrhea today

Thread: Help me now, diarrhea today

DefaultHelp me now, diarrhea today

This just happens to be where most people are logged on right now, and I could use some advice. Our 13 month old dog (80+ pounds) had a loose stool in his crate last night--thought it was just a reminder of early puppy days. (I cleaned and disinfected the crate.) He's been out three more times this morning, the last being very watery. We gave him his regular dry kibble breakfast before we realized that he had diarrhea. He's drinking normally. He seems normally energetic when we are outside. He is under our supervision all the time. Does the normal doggy antics, like picking up grass and sticks, but otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary. He's been sleeping a couple hours now, which is normal for this time of day. I've read "starve for 24 hours, and see the vet if he isn't better," "give yogurt," "see vet immediately," "give rice/meat for 24 hours while observing." So confusing. How does a person determine what is right? I don't want to do the wrong thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help me now, diarrhea today

I've read "starve for 24 hours, and see the vet if he isn't better,"
    This would be my advice. Withhold food for 24 hours. After the 24 hours, feed two bland meals (chicken/rice) for a further day. If all is back to normal after 48 hours, great. If not, straight to the vets. If diarrhea or very loose stools is the only symptom the problem is often a stomach upset/24 hour bug and not much else.

I am not a vet, but I would mix some rice in with his food and see if that helps...I have also heard pumpkin, but I never tried that...good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

What I've done in the past ( just a few days ago whe she managed to get to a bag of her food and who knows how much she ate!)
    We give her boiled white rice with boiled chicken breast for 1 to 2 days and some 100% canned pumpkin...
    Used to use Pepto bismol but discovered the pumpkin trick here on this board and it works!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have been reading about boiled chicken and rce to treat diarhea, and some of you feeding it as the regular diet For a dog that gets 4 cups of kibble a day, what would be the amount of this boiled chicken and rice? How much of each? Do you cube or grind the chicken? Before or after cooking?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hershey Kisses is over her bout with diarrhea. I think I posted in one of the threads on the subject that I chose to blame her consumption of horse manure. We were cleaning up her supply area last night, and I noticed one of the packs of sample kibble that we picked up at the pet store. They have an organic display with about 30 different kibble packet that can be taken as samples. We take them and use them a training treats. Anyway, I notice one of the empty ones was a Wellness product. I tried to remember when I used that one, and ding, ding! I think it was right before or coincident with the diarrhea issue. I have read that others have had issues with the Wellness product. Does anyone know what it might be in their product that some dogs do not tolerate. I may turn into a label reader to try to avoid the ingredient if we know what it is.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.