Only when I'm gone

Thread: Only when I'm gone

Skubaa Guest

DefaultOnly when I'm gone

I am sure others do this also---just funny when it is your dog doing it and not your kids. Most posts I have seen talk about all the stuff their dogs do and get into when they are home alone---Escaping from crates, destroying the house, eating furniture. All of this done with no one in the house.

We are a family of 5. Me, my dh, my daughters ages 10 and 13 and my son 6. Any and all of us are perfectly capable of watching the dog---except maybe my son who does inform me at certain times of Phoebe's naughtiness.

Here is the thing. When I am home, there must be a magic cloud that hangs over this house. Phoebe is a well manner dog. She hangs with me, she brings me things but never really devours them, she has never, ever gone up on a counter. She has never had interest in what is on the counter.

Where oh where does my Phoebe go? I come home and my son's new toy last 5 minutes before she ate a wing. She pooped in the living room today because my 10 year old daughter needed to BRING Phoebe to my dh when she saw she had to poop instead of just bringing her outside. My oldest informed me today that she took a cup off the counter the other day. Shocked me. There are 4 other people in this house and not one of them can "watch" her like I do. And they all laugh at me for watching her so closely. Can we all say DUH!!!

So, now Phoebe will be crated when I leave whether anyone is home or not. At least until I can train my family to understand the concept of "watching Phoebe." Do you think the clicker would work on them?"

DG

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Only when I'm gone

The dog trainer I brought Dakota to said "you have to train the people..not the dog". LOL..so..good luck..I'm still trying to train DH...LOL
    Jackie

I know how you feel! And I was reading yesterday that clickers are used in sports training so maybe it would work on the family!

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

well what can i say! i have the same problem but not on the same scale. crate your family!

Quote Originally Posted by JackieN
    The dog trainer I brought Dakota to said "you have to train the people..not the dog". LOL..so..good luck..I'm still trying to train DH...LOL
    Jackie
    No doubt. It took a while but everyone here is pretty much on the same page as me now.

Oh boy that could have been me posting.

I never have any issue with the dogs when I'm home with them. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up pooped out socks whenever my family has been on dog watch. Essy was in heat recently so she wears britches when she's inside. Again, I can't tell you how many times I had to wash the dang things because no one paid attention when she went outside to pee so she peed all over them. : Come on people. Let's get with the program here.