Little dogs go crazy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little dogs go crazy

DefaultLittle dogs go crazy

Hello everyone,

Our little one is growing up so fast, she is 5 months now! My wife and I are first time puppy owners and are settling in very well to date. We have been wondering about a certain situation that comes up quite often and I thought it time to ask for everyone's thoughts.

When we take Fritzy for walks to the park, she will of course go greet other dogs. If it's a new big dog, she will go up to them and sniff their face which is quite normal. Most of the time, grown big dogs just ignore her. I guess they don't want to play with crazy energy balls! ;D

The big question that we have is in regards to grown little dogs, mainly Terriers and Jack Russels. They just go crazy! I can't count the number of time where she would go up to them, do the sniff sniff and then these dogs would just start growling, barking, bitting, jumping on top of her, more bitting. Yesterday a Jack Russel saw her from about 5 feet away I guess and he went bonkers as if he was ready to kill her.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why do they do this? Is this something we should be concerned about?

Thanks for any advice!
    Phil

[IMG width=500 height=400]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/edenis_2007/Fritzy/20070531_IMG_1275.jpg[/img]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Little dogs go crazy

Phil, your little one is beautiful! What's her name?

I think that's pretty normal for little dogs. For some reason, the majority of little dogs that I've met don't get formal socialization or obedience classes. Not sure why though.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Hi Amy,

Thank you! Her name is Fritzy. She turned 5 months yesterday and weights in at 40 pounds!

Have you had problems like this too? She plays with quite a few "little dog" puppies and they are fine but I am guessing that's because they too are still puppies.

We had one Terrier who jumped on her and started bitting pretty hard. I don't get it.

Phil

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

One of our best friends has a Jack Russell that he brings over all the time. They love him, and Louie (the Jack) loves my boys, but he growls and snarls and terrorizes them the whole time he's over. Thinks he's a big dog.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mine never meet too many dogs on our walks, but I know Yorkies tend to be "yappy".
    Fritzy is beautiful. (I once had a German Shepherd named Fritzy.)

Hi Amy,

I understand the whole "thinking they are bigger" thing. Heck, Fritzy does it with other dogs. I've also seen other dogs do it too but in a playful manner. What these dogs do, to us at least, seems a little too close to agression. I don't know, maybe we are overreacting? ??? Just don't want her to get hurt.

Phil

Hi mitziandjudysmom,

Thank you for your comments about Fritzy! Small world regarding the name. I wanted to get a boy and name him Fritz but they only had one girl left. We have a Fritz in our puppy class right now... spooky!

Yappy is one thing but when they jump on her and start bitting like mad fools, that's something different. Maybe we are just being over protective? I don't know. ???

Phil

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

For the most part, I think small dogs suffer from ahem, short man syndrome or little dog syndrome. They try to act big by bullying the bigger dogs. : I have had small dogs most of my life and no matter how well socialized they are, there is an attitude problem with them. I've had Chihuahua's and fox terriers and they all think they are bad. Not! Don't know what it is but the neighbors have mini doxies and every chance they get they get attitudish with my girls. Just small dogs I guess :. ;D ;D

Hi rushpuppy,

That's what we thought for the longest time, just wanted to see if we were right. We just stay away from little dogs now! Can't wait until she gets bigger so she can squish them! ;D

Phil

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

I had the experience of seeing a jack russell jump out of a jeep stopped at a stop sign and come after my Lil. When he realized she was bigger than he thought, he crawled over to her peeing all over the road. The meeting was interesting as Lily just sniffed his little nose as the owner picked him back up and placed him back into the jeep. Those little dogs have Napoleon's disease I do believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast