Heartworm testing question

Thread: Heartworm testing question

DefaultHeartworm testing question

Our 10 month old was heartworm tested by the vet when she was 4 months old, it was negative, and he gave me Tri- Heart 6 months supply ($38.00 for the chewables + $40.00 for the test), now I got a reminder in the mail that she is up for retesting.
    I have read that if you keep your dog on the pills, they don't need to be tested often.
    What is your opinion? Is testing every 6 months necessary?
    What do you guys do, regarding the testing and maybe getting the meds online ( they need a prescription from the vet) and I am hesitant in asking my vet for the prescription....
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Heartworm testing question

My boys are tested once a year. 6 months is really too often if they are on preventative.

I get my Heartguard online. I just ask my vet for a prescription, they make me sign a thing stating that I understand that not all online sources are reliable and that they are not responsible for the medicine that I receive, and that is it. $40 is really a lot for a heartworm test in my opinion.

We do once a year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We retest new adult dogs 6 months after their 1st test and then yearly after the 1st two tests.

It can take 6 or 7 months after the initial infection for a dog to test positive. So, we test all new rescue dogs and start them on prevention and then re-test in 6 months.

If you've had your dog on prevention since it was under 6 months old or if you've had your adult dog on prevention and you've had them for longer than a year then I'd continue with yearly.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I have Auggie tested every Spring before mosquito season.

She has not been on any preventative since '98.

Perhaps a healthy dog on a good diet has an immune system that can ward off parasites.. ???
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

For a puppy that's always been on preventative, every year or 2 is fine for testing, as long as you are on it all year round. We test once a year as mine don't get preventative during the winter...too much snow for mosquitos so why bother?

My girls were not on heartworm meds year round. I didn't give them to them in the winter months. So, they were tested yearly. Ranger was put on heartworm at 10 weeks and will be on them year round. My vet will test him this next spring. Then he will be tested every other year since he will be on the meds year round. I don't see any reason to have your dog tested again already. Maybe you should call your vet to see why they want you to get your pup tested again so soon.

Thanks for the responses, I called the vet and the receptionist says that that's the proper schedule "every 6 months"
    I like this vet, but I think he might be a little money hungry!
    I'll go to him for the test and find out what his reasoning for doing it every 6 months is....

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm actually really surprised that they tested the puppy at 4 months. At 4 months, it's really unnecessary to test them...instead you just start them on preventative as a puppy. Then, at 1 year, you test...and since I do yearly, they get tested every other year...Rookie was started on interceptor at 9 weeks old and he will be tested next April...but he will continue to be on preventative all year around like Rider.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003