How do you coax a lab into the swimming pool?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you coax a lab into the swimming pool?

DefaultHow do you coax a lab into the swimming pool?

Hi there-- my 8 month old yellow lab is not wild about water. We have a large inground swimming pool, and she won't come anywhere near it. We've tried coaxing her in with treats and by throwing her favorite toys in, but she still runs right up to the edge and then stops. We've taken her to the beach a few times, and she has just started to wade in maybe up to her knees-- but as for the pool-- no way, no how.

I don't want to force her in because I don't want it to backfire on me and have her be more afraid of the pool then she already is. My mistake for thinking labs take naturally to the water.

Any suggestions on how to get my dog to love the pool (or at least not be afraid of it)??

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do you coax a lab into the swimming pool?

Have you tried getting her to come in while you're in the pool? Some labs are unsure of water at first. I don't have a pool and all our watersports are done at lakes and ponds. Maggie was hesitant at first and would just walk around on the shores edge. I went in a couple of times and called her and she came in deeper but still wouldn't swim. I was throwing bumpers for my other lab, Daisy, and after a few retrieves Maggie couldn't stand being left out of the fun and dove right in. I actually created monsters, I swim them 2 to 3 times a week and it still not enough! I'm considering a houseboat!
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I tried for the first 5 years of Buddy's life. I gave up.
    He avoids puddles in the street.
    Good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do you have a friend with a dog that could come to your pool? My Dexter wasn't crazy about the water until he was with other dogs that were swimming. Now, I can't keep him out of it.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAM
    I tried for the first 5 years of Buddy's life. I gave up.
    He avoids puddles in the street.
    Good luck
    Oh my gosh, Pam, I thought I was the only one with a Lab who hates water! We got Buddy a kiddie pool and he will not get in it. I have been able to coax him to actually step in with all four feet - but he steps right back out again. Even when he's panting like crazy with this horrible heat, and his black coat is actually hot to the touch, he ain't having any part of that water.

Maybe it's the name?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Nellie loves the beach but will not go in a pool. Several years ago I took her to Linda's (lcspt) house to swim in her pool. It took all day to coax her in with a tennis ball. when she finally went in she forgot where the stairs were and climbed out tearing a dew claw to the quick. We'll see what happens when I get to California. My son has a swimming pool and maybe she'll swim there.

Oh, Pam-- that's funny!! I'm comforted to hear I don't have the only lab who's afraid of water. Just not her thing, I guess. We'll keep encouraging her, but I'm not holding my breath

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

Maggie will go into the water only if she can still touch the bottom. Once she realizes she is "swimming", she freaks out. But she loves to float on a raft.

Finn is almost 7 months old and will get in the kiddie pool but would not get in the creek. He hasn't seen a big pool yet but it doesn't look like he is going to be a swimmer either.

Our Max was also hesitant with the pool at first. We tried giving him his favorite treat in the pool but still did not go in. I think it took him about 3 weeks of us coaching him to go in but I think the thing that made him go in was I bought him a new pool toy. My son threw the toy in the pool and next thing we know he was going in the pool slowly. After that...he loves the pool! Every time he sees the boys with their swim trunks on he gets very excited. I guess it just takes time...and find something that will make him go in the pool. Good luck!

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

You are definitely not alone having a lab who is afraid of water or in Lexi's case the pool.

What has me most perplexed about Lexi is she is fine running through puddles, in the creek by my parents house and playing in her baby pool. I try to get her into the inground pool at Susan's (Weheartlabs)... no way, no how!!! I've tried luring her in with treats, with little bits of people food, her favorite toy, etc. to no avail. Not even seeing Aidan & Emma (Susan), Elias (Sam), Beau (Shelia), Reggie (Jean), Abby (Pat), etc. swimming at LabFest a few weeks ago could get her in. My mother swears its because she is like her grandmother and does not like water where she can not touch bottom.

Susan's husband Jeff even tried taking her in the jacuzzi first to see if a smaller area would be an easier transition. I did get her in a few times, but I had the bruises and scrapes to show for it.

I am going to try again tomorrow night. Maybe a little bit of filet mignon from Sunday's dinner will be enough enticement to get her in. We shall see.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast