Rookie taught himself a new trick....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie taught himself a new trick....

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRookie taught himself a new trick....

And on one hand it's wonderful...and on the other...could be a problem down the line....

Rookie has graduated to sleeping out of his crate at night...he has been out for about a month now. I baby gate the hallway to the main area in my house off...he has access to my room, the bathroom and the den where his crate is at (next to my bed room). I have a doggie bed at the foot of my bed where he usually crashes...but when he gets warm he'll either go lay in den in his crate or on the cool bathroom tile.

We usually all go to bed at around 10PM (I get up at 4:45AM), and Rider and he have a last potty break then. No problems this whole month. Yesterday and today...well, he heard me stirring at around 4AM (I usually have to go potty around then, but I force myself to sleep through it until the alarm goes off), and he came in from the den to my side of the bed...thumping his tail against the closet and grunting like a pig. *giggle* I tried to ignore him, and I even rolled over yesterday, but the bugger put his front paws up on the bed and then started poking me with his nose and grunting. By that time, he'd woken up Rider and I could no longer ignore him. He had to go potty. I let them out and they went potty.

We came back in and tried a power nap until 4:45 when my alarm actually is supposed to go off...and he was fine...but the minute the alarm went off...and I wasn't up...he was back up sticking his nose in my face and grunting and thumping his tail. *gack* It was time for breakfast after all. :

There is NO snooze button in my house.

I hope he only does this when he actually has to go now...and not because he's done sleeping. We'll see.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rookie taught himself a new trick....

LOL thats funny...Maybe he just doesnt want you to eversleep mom ;D

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

but the bugger put his front paws up on the bed and then started poking me with his nose and grunting.
    HA!! That is exactly what Frankie does, Dani. ;D Our bed is too high for him to jump up on, so he does this. Started when he was about Rooks age, too. :P

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey starts with licking my face if she can reach it - then tries the paws on the bed trick. This is only on the weekends though, when we're not up so early & she's ready for breakfast.
    What nice alarm clocks, huh??!!

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Simba does the nose thing in the middle of the nite when she has to go out. Some nites I try to ignore her, but I don't want her to go in the house so I don't ignore her too much. I would rather get up and let her out than face a wet spot in the morning.

When my alarm goes off in the morning and I hit the snooze or turn it off, Thunder comes over and lays right on top of me and starts kissing my face, time to get up mom!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Althea does that, too. It is beyond annoying.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

That is soooo funny! I just love labs!

My alarm goes off at 6:00 AM. I get up and take Ollie for a walk...we're usually out the door by 6:05. If I hit snooze he's at my side of the bed at 6:01 thumping his tail against it and pushing on my arm with his cold, wet nose. I can't help but smile. There are definitely worse ways to be woken up. ;D

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

How cute!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

I can just picture Rookie doing that. And I know the feeling; it's cute and annoying at the same time.

Our bed is too high for us to be poked, but sometimes Sundance will get up in the night and come over to my side of the bed, thump-thump-thumping his tail, and slamming his chest into the side of the bed. ("Earthquake, mom!") I keep my eyes closed, but I can feel him staring at me, using doggie mind control to make me wake up.

I just ignore him. The first few times he did this SU fell for it and took him outside, thinking it was an emergency, but it wasn't. We've learned that if it really is urgent, Sundance will add pacing the floor to the routine.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Sorry Dani, but that totally made me laugh, especially the pig grunting and the poking. I was reliving that time with Abby - she used to do that too. It's hard not to get up when you are laughing your ass off at them.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast