Bug Bites, Staph infection or fleas?

Thread: Bug Bites, Staph infection or fleas?

DefaultBug Bites, Staph infection or fleas?

Hello! I'm new to this board and wanted to introduce myself, but I also have a question for fellow lab lovers. my baby's name is Roscoe - he is a 2 year old chocolate lab and the love of my and my husband's life (of course!). I can't wait to share photos and see all of yours.

I did some searching before posting to see if I could find the answer to my questions...but nothing seemed to be the right match. So, here it goes - its sort of long, any help would be great!

Roscoe was at the kennel this past weekend - great place with a lake, lots of property, friendly dogs etc...but today, I noticed he has tiny red bug bite looking things on his underside. We bathed him on Sunday (tends to be smelly after swimming and staying at the kennel) I've searched him for fleas - leading me to my first question:
    can you see fleas? (I've read that you can see them but after several attempts to find any, I came up with nothing)

I also read in previous posts that sometimes long grass or algea from swimming may cause staph infections. Is this in the form of small looking bug bites? or does it look like dime sized sores?

From that search, I read about black fly bites...

So, now I'm wondering, how do I determine what Roscoe has on his belly and if I should go to the vet?
    Cara

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bug Bites, Staph infection or fleas?

Hmmm, I don't know if I can answer your questions but I know if you comb with a flea comb you should be able to see either flea dirt or fleas themselves. Is he scratching? Is he on a flea preventative? Just curious.

Oh by the way, Welcome! I'd love to see pictures of Roscoe. Post when you can.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd prolly go to the vet. Yah know, just in case!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rogerman, thank you for the welcome!

I have him on Frontline - so when I called the vet, she said he probably doesn't have fleas. He doesn't seem to be scratching any more than usual. I'll call the vet this morning - I'd rather take care of it then let it get worse...

Last month we took a trip to New Hampshire. Lincoln absolutely loved it. After several days of running free, hiking, and swimming in the lake, we started to notice bright red rings (dime size) on his underbelly. the next day there were over a dozen not only on his belly but all over. They didn't look like any bugs bites I had ever seen so we started to worry a bit. We ended up going to the local vet. The verdict: Black Fly Bites. All that worring for bug bites, but the vet didn't even charge us. Actually they were quite amused with the worried out of towners and their cute, excited lab.

Anyway, the peace of mind knowing he was okay was worth any money we might have been charged. So my advice: vet visit

Mocha had a staph infection on her stomach after swimming in a lake while we were on vacation and my parents were watching her. The lake had some algee in it and they didn't rinse her off afterward. Her stomach was blochy and red pretty much all over different sized spots. I would have the vet take a look just to be safe.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

A pyoderma (literally "skin infection" or "skin inflamation") caused by staph on Puff presents as red bumps (some almost like pimples) which morph at first into larger quarter or half dollar size brown splotches which are scabs. These brown areas increase in size and area, joining until much of the pink skin has turned brownish black.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748