I can't believe they DIDN'T do this!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe they DIDN'T do this!!!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultI can't believe they DIDN'T do this!!!

We were over at our neighbors today with the dogs. Our neighbor has recently started raising rabbits - dozens of pens of rabbits in his yard. I am always a little worried that the dogs will spot them and somehow, something bad will happen. Both of them have caught and eaten wild rabbits - usually babies, but occasionally they manage to catch and kill an adult. So tonight we're standing there talking to Charlie, and I see something out of the corner of my eye take off through his yard. I thought it was a cat (he has a lot of cats too and the dogs have been busted a couple time for chasing his cats). I yelled at them to stop and Skippy acually stopped and started to come towards me, then Emilu took off after the critter .That's when I realized it was one of his big rabbits that has gotten loose and stays in the yard. Both dogs took chase. I'm screaming at them when all of a sudden they stop - the big rabbit stops and sits a few yards from them, and they turn and trot towards me. I can't believe they were actually listening to me - and I can't belive they just let that rabbit sit near them - I think they weren't qutie sure what it was :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I can't believe they DIDN'T do this!!!

Wow! Good dogs! I am impressed.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Good for them. Buddy is always better when we're away from home. Guess your guys are the same way.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Oh, thank goodness they listened! I can imagine what that scene would have been like otherwise...yikes! Good girls!!!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Wow, that is wonderful! I know you were proud! I just don't know what Jazzy would do. With my beagles, Ted and Phoebe, I do believe that bunny would have been a goner.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Whew!!! Such a good job of listening!

patm is offline Senior Member

Somehow I don't think they were listening to me so much as they just decided they weren't interested in the rabbit - I still don't believe it! The rabbit sat right there near them!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

WTG Skippy and Emilu!

Oh, I know that feeling of wonder so well: "Did they actually just DO what I SAID? OMG!"

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Congrats to the dogs, but I have to ask a question of the humans involved. I am not a hunter, so that may be part of my dismay. Did you know the friend raised rabbits? Did the friend know you were bringing the dogs? Somehow, it seems that the humans created an really bad situation for the dogs and rabbits. Now, if these rabbits are being raised as hunting training aids for dogs, or if obedience is supposed to be at a point where the dogs will in fact ignore the rabbits, I am totally off base. But otherwise, was it fair to dog or rabbit to create this situation?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Congrats to the dogs, but I have to ask a question of the humans involved. I am not a hunter, so that may be part of my dismay. Did you know the friend raised rabbits? Did the friend know you were bringing the dogs? Somehow, it seems that the humans created an really bad situation for the dogs and rabbits. Now, if these rabbits are being raised as hunting training aids for dogs, or if obedience is supposed to be at a point where the dogs will in fact ignore the rabbits, I am totally off base. But otherwise, was it fair to dog or rabbit to create this situation?
    hi i have to agree with this, poppy isn't trained in the way of killing! are yours I'm a little confused...or do your dogs do this as a natural thing? we have 3 house rabbits next door to us that are always running around the garden....dear what would i do if pops got one.....I'd be a complete mess for at least a week. she chases birds but they can fly!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast