Cooling aids

Thread: Cooling aids

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultCooling aids

Have any of you used any of the pet coolings aids out there? I know they have cool vests, cool blankets and I just bought the cooling bandana. I thought it would be useless but...maybe not! you soak if for a long while, you can even pt it in the fridge.

i've used it when we return from our jogs and it "seems" like he's recovering faster (just to not - I watch him like a hawk and take breaks to ensure he doesn't overheat - plus he knows how to stop me LOL!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cooling aids

I've thought about getting one of those to try it out - good to know it works!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I'll be interested in the responses to this thread!!

I saw some of those cooling vests at the Sarnia show last weekend... wondered if they are at all effective. I've also looked at getting one of these for Henry's crate, especially when we are away at a show... http://www.chillow.com/cc.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Felicia, I wonder if that would work on a boat? I'm always worried that Jefferson will overheat when we are out on the boat.
    (it would be in the sun) How does it work?
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

The Canine Cooler? It's basically a pad that's filled with some sort of magic cooling gel... you add water to it once, and it stays cool. I don't get how (chemistry was never my strong subject! haha) but I've saw them once at one of the Toronto home shows (still kicking myself for not buying one there) and it does really feel cool to the touch!!

I found another site: http://www.pets4you.com/pages/canine_cooler/index.htm... oh, you do have to keep it out of direct sunlight. You may have to use one of those cooling vests for Jefferson while on the boat then?

Up until now, I've just taken face or handtowels, wet them, and partially frozen them overnight in a Ziploc baggie. When we go to shows and Henry starts to heat up, I just pour water on them and then wipe him down with them, his feet and his belly.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Mick had a Canine Cooler bed that seemed to work. A word of warning about cooling vests- look for the ones that go under the dog's chest and wrap around the belly. The ones that lay over top of the dog like a blanket tend to cause the dog to overheat more than they cool them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffersonsMom
    Felicia, I wonder if that would work on a boat?...
    My opinion- the Canine Cooler won't work so well on the boat. The directions say to keep in out of direct sunlight. Plus, they aren't exaclty easy to move around. However- soak some towels then freeze them. They can then be used as a dog beg. You can keep some "back up" ones in freezer bags in a cooler while you're on the boat. A good way to saok a few towels at once is to run them through the rinse cycle in your washing machine. Another plus- the maching will also wring them out for you!

budbud is offline Senior Member

I was also told that laying a wet towel over the dog will make him overheat more!!