Question Re: Grooming requirements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Re: Grooming requirements

DefaultQuestion Re: Grooming requirements

I am a first time lab owner and I'm wondering what the grooming requirements are for my pup.

I have given him a few baths at home - once when we brought him home from the rescue and once more when he got really dirty. How often should I bathe my lab?

How often do his nails need to be clipped and ears cleaned? I don't feel comfortable doing those two things myself so I'll take him to a groomer. Does anyone know the approximate cost of a Nail/Ear care visit?

Lastly, is there anything else I need to know/do with regards to grooming?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question Re: Grooming requirements

You do not need to bath your Lab unless he really stinks. The ONLY time my Labs get bathed is when they roll in something disgusting and get it all over them. If only the neck area is 'inflicted' I will spot clean. The last FULL bath they had was well over a year ago.

Bathing strips the coat of it's natural oils and can lead to dry, flaky skin. It is not healthy for them.

I do not clean ears unless they are dirty or infected. I don't do nails, either. They are worn down naturally on our walks.

The only thing I do regularly in terms of grooming is brushing maybe once every 2 weeks. Other then that, Labs are very low maintenance in the grooming department.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wesley is seven years old. He's had maybe five or six baths in his entire life. Once when he rolled in Dobie-doo. And when we kennel him while we're on vacation, we schedule a bath before he comes home because when we don't, he arrives home smelling like a horse.

Other than that, anything icky he gets into merely gets brushed out.

I would like to say I do nails and teeth once a week, but I'm lax.

One of the things I love about Labrador Retrievers (one thing among many, many, many) is the lo maintenance in grooming.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much!
    He actually had a bath this weekend because he sat in a fire ant mound. Poor thing! Luckily I caught it quickly and got the hose on him immediately.
    I didn't realize I could just spot clean him...that is great to know!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hosing down with water is no problem. It is just full shampooing that you want to avoid on a regular basis.

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I read that site. he sure does have a lot of equipment for brushing!
    I just use a regular dog brush on Ollie but I may pick up the zoom groom this weekend.

I used to give Nala a full bath every week until I read on here that it is not good, now she just gets wiped down with a wet towel or at most just rinsed off with the hose.

I do nails every other week or so. I use a dremmel and file them down that way instead of clipping since mine throw a fit when I try to clip them. It's quick and easy and I don't worry about cutting the quick. I only clean ears when they start to look dirty. I try to brush them weekly at least. Zues sheds more so he gets brushed more. Generally they are pretty low maintnence they shead a lot so be prepared for that if it drives you crazy you will need to brush a lot.

BudGirl8 Guest

Just brushing and I take her to the vet when she needs her nails done because I can't stand to do it myself (big chicken that I am). I've only given her 2 baths in the time I've had her and only then because she reeked.

Lots of brushing though...the shedding is outrageous otherwise. I just discovered the zoom groom and it is my new best friend!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast