I understand its a lot to ask
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I understand its a lot to ask

DefaultI understand its a lot to ask

I am making my shopping list and I'm not sure what stuff to buy in terms of brand, for shampoo, nail clippers, crate, toys, treats, food. Can I please have suggestions or be directed to help. Sorry

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I understand its a lot to ask

Quote Originally Posted by wkbrdr03
    I am making my shopping list and I'm not sure what stuff to buy in terms of brand, for shampoo, nail clippers, crate, toys, treats, food. Can I please have suggestions or be directed to help. Sorry
    Is this for a new pup you're bringing home?
    I wish that I had known before I got my lab what a strong chewer he was. i wasted a lot of money testing toys that he completely tore through. Now, the only toys we really have in our house are Kong brand. Our dog loves them and he hasn't destroyed them yet. We LOVE the traditional kong that you can stuff with treats to keep the dog busy.

I wouldn't worry about what brand shampoo, etc. you get. I went to a smaller, independantly owned pet supply store that carries a lot of natural brands of food and treats and asked for recommendations. They weer extremely helpful.

I think you have all of the basics covered there. Don't forget a leash (or 2), dog tag and collar. Also, a brush.
    The first 3 days we had our lab I must have made 7 trips to the pet supply store for things I didn't realize that I needed.

Good luck!

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I use human shampoo and conditioner "Tresseme". I don't know the brand of the clippers I use. Just bought an average cost one at PetSmart.
    We JUST stepped up to a 48" x 33" x 36" "Life Style" wire kennel. Mya just turned 9 months, before the new kennel she was in one of those large blue/gray plastic kennels. The new one is so roomy, I am using the divider.
    I just get small round treats, in a tall round container. LOL I guess I don't ALWAYS pay a lot of attention to the brands. Food: As many people here will tell you.....what ever works for your dog. How old is your dog/pup?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I would forego the shampoo because it will eventually dry out their skin and prevent their coats from keeping the warm and repelling water.

On the food, if you are getting a puppy from a breeder, use whatever the breeder was using. Puppies little tummies are more sensitive than when they are grown and if they are doing well on a food no need in upsetting the balance. Once he/she reaches a year or so of age switch to adult food.

I went ahead and got the 48" crate. You can partition it off for the little guy and you won't have to buy two or three as he/she grows.

The other stuff looks good. I echo the Kong brand toys. Make sure you have appropriate chew toys. I would steer away from rawhides. Maybe I am overprotective, but many have had problems with their dogs getting an obstruction. It is expensive and is life threatening. Not a risk of their health I am willing to take.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    I would forego the shampoo because it will eventually dry out their skin and prevent their coats from keeping the warm and repelling water.

On the food, if you are getting a puppy from a breeder, use whatever the breeder was using. Puppies little tummies are more sensitive than when they are grown and if they are doing well on a food no need in upsetting the balance. Once he/she reaches a year or so of age switch to adult food.

I went ahead and got the 48" crate. You can partition it off for the little guy and you won't have to buy two or three as he/she grows.

The other stuff looks good. I echo the Kong brand toys. Make sure you have appropriate chew toys. I would steer away from rawhides. Maybe I am overprotective, but many have had problems with their dogs getting an obstruction. It is expensive and is life threatening. Not a risk of their health I am willing to take.
    ^
    |
    |

Agree. Don't worry about shampoo and stuff. Labs don't need baths. A good brushing a couple of times a week is usually enough to keep them clean.

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Food -- feed whatever your breeder is feeding intially. If you want to eventually switch your pup to another food, do it slowly after he/she has settled into your home.

Crate -- 42" with divider.

Shampoo -- you won't need to bath your pup but I would look for an oatmeal based shampoo. NEVER use human shampoo on a dog.

Treats -- any of the treats from the better brands of dog food will work well. 'People' food is also great -- meats, cheese, veggies, etc.

Toys -- anything by the Kong range, Jolly Ball range and Nylabone range.

Hey guys thanks for your suggestions, I asked in the puppy section and it was just a generic puppy shopping list so i think people ignored it a little. I pick her up next monday, her name is Hailey, and she will be 7 weeks and 3 days when I get her. The breeder recommended a 36 inch crate, you guys think I should get the 42? Also, so what if she smells, do I just wash her off with water and dry her? How often can I brush her teeth? Can you guys give me any bones or something that helps with their puppy breath. Also the tear cleanup stuff? Necessary? Work?

Thanks again everyone. I know it shouldn't be posted in lab chat, but i get so much more help here. There is a picture of her in introductions.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe outgrew her 36" crate and I had to buy a larger size in no time.

If your pup gets into something very stinky (her own poop, cat poop, etc) then I would shampoo. Zoe rolled her face in cat poop : :-X and just that section got shampooed, not her whole body.

When she was a pup, I think she got about 4 shampoos (before age 1). Since then none...just the cat poop incident.

You can brush her teeth everyday. Start as soon as you bring her home so she gets used to it.

I have never used tear clean up. Zoe's eyes don't tear.

Zoom groom is good for brushing. They do shed a lot!

Congratulations on your new puppy.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Trickster is offline Senior Member

36"-42" -- it won't really make much of a difference. A 42" will give a little bit more room for her when she is fully grown but again, it doesn't really matter.

Chances are that your breeder will bath your puppy before coming home. If they do, you don't need to worry about bathing. Some dogs smell 'doggier' then others but the smell should not be overwhelming.

I don't brush my dogs teeth. Chewing on tough toys should act as a great teeth cleaner for a puppy. When she is older you get give her raw bones -- work wonders for keeping the teeth in condition.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I actually had a 36" and moved up to the 42" when I had to buy a new one. Brigetta has really long legs, so it's much better. The only time Brigetta ever really smells (that I notice) is if it's really hot out, when she first comes in- I'll do a little spritz of lavender and mint or a little listerine mixed with water. If she rolls in something stinky- then she gets a bath. When Brigetta was a puppy, I would give her (and still do) nylabones (non-edible) for chewing, which helped with the teeth. I don't think I ever brushed her puppy teeth, because she was always chewing on the nylabones I do brush them now though. I've never needed the tear cleanup stuff either.
    Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast