Best Invisible Fence and What age can I use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Invisible Fence and What age can I use?

DefaultBest Invisible Fence and What age can I use?

Hello,
    I am interested in getting an pet containment system for my upcoming pup. I was looking at gun dog supply, does anyone have any experience with these systems? Dogtra, Petsafe, Innotek? I called "Invisible Fence" and anyone that won't answer my question and needs to "send out a consultant" just sounds like its over priced.
    Additionally, when can I use this system? I have to believe its not ok to use with a little puppy, not only will the colar not fit but this type of training can't be appropriate until a certain age. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Best Invisible Fence and What age can I use?

I have an "Invisible Fence" brand fence and I love it!! They did come to the house and priced out several different options based on the layout of my property. The thing I liked about them was the training piece. They came out and did several training sessions and had us work on stuff between sessions to make sure that Dexter was properly trained on where the boundaries were, etc. This is the part that is the most important with an electric fence, IMO. Secondly, I love their customer service. I don't know if the other fence options you mentioned offer these services as well, but after 5 years, my dog has never challenged the fence line, with or without his collar.

As far as the age goes, Invisible Fence does not recommend an electric fence for any dog under 6 months.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Hi Tucker,

Like Sara I have the "Invisible Fence" system for my Lexi. Honestly, I have to agree with Sara about it, especially when it comes to training. No matter what system you select, without proper training the system is of no value.

In almost 2 years with the system, Lexi has taken a correction from it roughly 1/2 dozen times. Three (2) of those corrections were the ones administered by "Invisible Fence" personnel. For the most part, Lexi does not even get close enough to the perimeter to get a beep, even then she is usually hauling her furry behind back before there is any chance of her getting the correction.

I second her comment about their customer service, I mistakenly cut part of my line as I have a small section that runs behind my shed which just lays on the ground. The space between my shed & my neighbor's fence was too narrow to get the trencher in there. I call them and they sent out a splice kit to fix it.

I also really liked the fact that if the system did not work for your dog, they would (after trying work with you on it) refund your money.

I could have gone with one of the other invisible fence system, but I liked their training and their price was not "over-priced". I did my entire yard (60' x 100' lot) for $800. Now that $800 price included (I think) up to 500' of invisible fence line buried in the yard, plus the collar & the main transmitter that is in my kitchen.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So I have 1/2 acre I need covered. Does ~$800 cover installation and training sessions?

Skubaa Guest

Invisible fence here and we are still in the first month mode. They started Phoebe off inside with a corner portable unit and a beep collar. They wanted her to get used to the beep and how to "turn it on and off" by backing in and out. She wouldn't hardly go near it--LOL! She learned she didn't like the beep.
    They came 3 more times and worked her up slowly from just a beep on the fence to a shock. We have it harder than most because we didn't lay down the wire, so some of the flags are way back in the woods. She has been zapped there because the flags aren't as noticable. But, she turns and runs back in quicker than a flash. After that, you can't get her near the spot again.

Some things I never thought about: 1) The wire should be on top of a hill or past the bottom. (Ours is actually in the neighbor's yard). If you put it mid-way, there is too much of a chance the dog will slide through it--especially in winter. 2) the wire is the start of the containment field. Your dog's area will be anywhere from 2 - 8 feet inside the wire. It is nice you can adjust the field size yourself. Just remember to tell your dog you did it. LOL! 3) I never let her out of my sight anyway. She eats everything and who knows what or who comes into the fence. 4) The first month is a pain for taking them on a walk. They want you to drive them out and drive them back in so they can't really see the flags when they walk. I've done it a few times, but it is a pain.

I believe now Invisible Fence says they can start them earlier than 6 months---they say they have adjusted their training. Not sure I would ever do it earlier. Phoebe is 10 months.

Personally, I don't think this is a system you want to be find cost-cutting strategies. The funtion of the fence is so important and is a lifetime investment. The training is the key to the success. I think anyone who says they can quote you over the phone is a little too cookie-cutter for me. They don't know the terrain--rocky or soily--hilly or flat--any other issues that will get in your dog's way of success. A free consultation is worth it if only to give you the questions you forgot to ask.

Good Luck!

DG

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Invisible Fence is the way to go, even though they cost more. In this case, you get what you pay for. I know several people who got cheaper fences and were sorry. I know several people (myself included) who got the Invisible Fence brand and were quite happy with it.

You can start training a puppy to Invisible Fence at six months of age.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Around here, Twin Cities, MN, a half acre with Invisible Fence will run you in excess of $2000. At least that is the estimate that several of us have gotten from them. There are several systems out there which you can purchase and install yourself. A fair amount of work (the wire can be on surface held in place with wire staples into the ground, or protected bu burying 12 inch below surface.), but you can keep the cost under $500. It does take some planning, to figure out the layout before you buy anything. Some people with no conscience might have Invisible Fence come out and offer various proposals for the sole purpose of getting layout ideas, and then install a system themselves. I have no idea who might do that.

Training is an issue. The various systems come with training booklets. You need to decide if you can handle the additional task of installing the system, training them, making mistakes, to save the money.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Dexter is so well trained that I have actually been able to use flags in areas where there isn't a fence line. I have one area of the yard that he likes to use as his bathroom, but it's very hard for me to get in there to pick it up, so I put a couple of flags in front of the area and he doesn't go there anymore. I think I'm so tricky! :P

Has anyone installed a system themselves? Is there an efficient way of laying the wire under the ground?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I helped a friend. Efficient? Not really! We used a really heavy knife and cut a slit (No trench needed, just enough to push a wire into the ground) into the ground about two inches deep pressing the wire into the slit as we went. The only reason to bury the wire is to protect it from damage and to hold it in place.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast