Ivy tooth trouble ... pulpitis? (1 pic)

Thread: Ivy tooth trouble ... pulpitis? (1 pic)

DefaultIvy tooth trouble ... pulpitis? (1 pic)

Ivy's lower left canine has suddenly (REALLY suddenly) turned a reddish-brown color. Some online searching has made me think it is pulpitis which, in a nutshell, is inflammation due to tooth trauma ... apparently sometimes it can heal, sometimes not. She is not uncomfortable, and is eating normally. She does get a marrow bone on Saturday mornings, so I'm assuming maybe the trauma happened then? We will visit the vet but, in the meantime, any stories or experience would be comforting ... :-\

This is from the Merck Vet Manual ...
    As the pulp dies and gas pressure increases in the pulp cavity, blood is forced into the dentinal tubules and the teeth often change to a reddish brown or dark gray color. Treatment is endodontic therapy and restoration of the tooth structure; as an alternative, teeth that are not vital to the occlusion or function of the dentition may be extracted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ivy tooth trouble ... pulpitis?

This happened to my daughter when she was 4. She fell and hit her front teeth. The dentist said the trauma killed the root in that tooth. He said he wanted to try to save it because it would hold the dentition in place until she lost it naturally. It lasted about another 18 months then she pulled it out. It never gave her any problems. It just looked horrible.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Thanks, buddysmom. I'm holding on to the hope that it can heal ... though my hope stems from a few anecdotal accounts on the internet. I'm wondering if it will eventually become painful ... in that case we would obviously pull the tooth now. BUT ... I'm getting ahead of myself here ... breath deeply, and call vet in the morning. :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

No advice, just wanted to say that I hope it isn't anything too serious. Let us know what the vet says.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Hawaii Zoe has had a root canal done on one of her lower canines (PM zoesmom!) and I think the same happened to PAM's Buddy.